Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 138 of 191
by chudak » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:21 pm
dane wrote:
Guest wrote:What is the southern limit for your Parkside installation? I'm on Crestlake, one block north of Sloat Blvd.
We'd think of that location as Lakeshore - which is largely served by underground utility lines, or back-of-lot lines which themselves are connected to underground facilities at the end of the block. This makes Lakeshore far less viable to serve, particularly as San Francisco does not currently allow microtrenching for fiber optic construction. For those in urban areas with underground utilities, small, less than 1" wide micro-trench methods are the most cost-effective construction method, so without that, you're stuck.

SF has discussed the idea of allowing micro-trenching, but doesn't appear to have made progress toward this yet. Do inquire with your Supervisor if you're interested in new infrastructure ever being built!

I thought that was the problem going south of Taraval, was it not? How it was solved then?
by guest » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:10 pm
My guess is that they were able to find avenues where they could cross Taraval using overhead lines. Once they were over Taraval, it's basically another smaller grid to set up. Their backbone is run along Ulloa so they got it to work somehow. But, I don't see them going into Sloat
by joe » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:51 pm
dane wrote:
cdrayson wrote:Hi Dane, do you have any info you can share about uptake rates, and how much you customer base has increased in areas offering fiber?
No, for competitive reasons, we wouldn't able to share that info.

But it's important to note: our ability to scale up and the pace of that process is primarily limited by the size of the Sonic membership at this point. The more people who sign up for Sonic, on either fiber or copper services, the bigger our fiber builds can become. So, please tell a friend - we are on a mission to fix Internet access, but we need you!
Now that your uptake is growing rapidly in the Sunset (North/South) direction streets, please start to consider a plan for those of us unfortunate ones on East/West Avenues. We would like to enjoy the freedom from Comcast/ATT shackle like our nearby neighbors.

No matter how much I spread the words about Sonic Fiber, our(those on East/West Avenue in Sunset) future remains uncertain at this point.
by fgaillard » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:42 pm
I'm on Quintara Street, got a letter offering fiber today and I could sign up immediately. So it seems they are doing at lest some of the E/W portions now. Go Sonic!
by tabacco » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:40 am
dane wrote:We just activated 24th Ave in the Richmond, which brings us to 50% completion of that neighborhood.
Is that 50% of the neighborhood, or 50% of the north/south streets? Those are two different things.
by dane » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 am
tabacco wrote:
dane wrote:We just activated 24th Ave in the Richmond, which brings us to 50% completion of that neighborhood.
Is that 50% of the neighborhood, or 50% of the north/south streets? Those are two different things.
I suppose 50% is a WAG: I just looked at the mapping, 2nd to 48th, and 24th is roughly half the streets. (48-1)/2=23.5~(24-1)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by John Lind » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:07 pm
dane wrote:
Guest wrote:What is the southern limit for your Parkside installation? I'm on Crestlake, one block north of Sloat Blvd.
We'd think of that location as Lakeshore - which is largely served by underground utility lines, or back-of-lot lines which themselves are connected to underground facilities at the end of the block. This makes Lakeshore far less viable to serve, particularly as San Francisco does not currently allow microtrenching for fiber optic construction. For those in urban areas with underground utilities, small, less than 1" wide micro-trench methods are the most cost-effective construction method, so without that, you're stuck.

SF has discussed the idea of allowing micro-trenching, but doesn't appear to have made progress toward this yet. Do inquire with your Supervisor if you're interested in new infrastructure ever being built!
I'm at Ulloa St between Waithman Way and Kensington Way with the telephone lines and garage on the backside of the property which has a private street. How is this area actually served and will we ever see sonic fiber here?
by steelgaze » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:29 pm
John Lind wrote:I'm at Ulloa St between Waithman Way and Kensington Way with the telephone lines and garage on the backside of the property which has a private street. How is this area actually served and will we ever see sonic fiber here?
All I can say is that you're probably too far east, and considered in West Portal so fiber is not going to be in your area for the initial inner sunset + parkside" push.
by John Lind » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:29 am
steelgaze wrote:
John Lind wrote:I'm at Ulloa St between Waithman Way and Kensington Way with the telephone lines and garage on the backside of the property which has a private street. How is this area actually served and will we ever see sonic fiber here?
All I can say is that you're probably too far east, and considered in West Portal so fiber is not going to be in your area for the initial inner sunset + parkside" push.
Actually, this is Forest Hill Extension/Laguna Honda. I know it won't be available on the initial inner sunset + parkside push, what I wanted to know was are the lines underground in this area?
by klatox » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:48 am
Just received my notice to pre-order fiber service.

What's the installation process like? I currently rent a house; is the installation any more intrusive than, say, a Comcast installation where they just drill a couple of holes?

Also, I own my own modem and routers (Apple AirPort Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme); will I be required to rent any gear from Sonic, or can I keep my routers?

Finally, what's the monthly cost for service? The main site says $40/month; but I know that with potential equipment rental, fees, and taxes, it's probably $20 more in the real world.

Cheers.
1909 posts Page 138 of 191