Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 135 of 191
by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:28 pm
bbusby wrote:Just wanted to thank your crew for a pretty good response to what sounded like an intractable fiber problem in SF -- went from no service around 0800 (phone or data) to everything perking around 1230, with good visibility as to status on the /etc/motd. Not enough credit posted here to your bit-herding posse.
Technically it was from 1AM to product continuity. I'm not blaming Sonic seeing it is their first major downtime on their flagship product. I'm sure they have lots of learnings this round.

One of the issues with this outage is port forwarding is not working. The same thing occurred last time there was an issue several months ago. It seems the 5286AC doesn't like unexpected outages. I will need to look at the gw's configuration and post a follow up thread. Last time everything was still set up. Only when I created a new rule--the only thing changed was rule name--did things work again.

I may have to get another gw and opt out of the 5286.
by bbusby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:39 pm
For me, a reboot of the router restores the pinholes -- the Pace firmware seems to not like the new DHCP address (my impression, empirically tested, but I've never done anything other than rebooting). Inbound routing seemed hosed until about a half-hour before phone service returned. And you're right -- the logs showed a drop around 0045 this morning. I just didn't feel the pinch until I'd had coffee.
by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:18 pm
bbusby wrote:For me, a reboot of the router restores the pinholes -- the Pace firmware seems to not like the new DHCP address (my impression, empirically tested, but I've never done anything other than rebooting).
I asked my dad to power cycle the gw to no avail. I could see the gw ping response change during this process. I'll probably use a reverse tunnel to get it fixed later tonight. Thanks for the additional info.
by bbusby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:04 pm
If you're on Window$, try the Google Chrome remote desktop app... you can also try teamviewer for free if for personal use.
by Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:07 am
bbusby wrote:For me, a reboot of the router restores the pinholes
Hi bbusby, would you mind posting your HW and SW versions? I couldn't get it to work. The reverse tunnel worked great but the port forwarding configuration was already there and set up. Creating new ones just didn't work unlike last time. PC FW settings are fine and ssh service working.

The 5286AC in question:

HW: 260-2173300
SW: 10.5.4.527153-sonic

I'll have to try resetting to defaults and set up everything the next time I go over.

Thanks
by tedl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:31 am
Will I still be able to run my old AT&T DSL in parallel with your fiber service after installation?

Not that I doubt you guys, but I'll be in big time trouble if I can't work from home
by bbusby » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:34 pm
Guest wrote:
bbusby wrote:For me, a reboot of the router restores the pinholes
Hi bbusby, would you mind posting your HW and SW versions? I couldn't get it to work. The reverse tunnel worked great but the port forwarding configuration was already there and set up. Creating new ones just didn't work unlike last time. PC FW settings are fine and ssh service working.

The 5286AC in question:

HW: 260-2173300
SW: 10.5.4.527153-sonic

I'll have to try resetting to defaults and set up everything the next time I go over.

Thanks
Same stuff:

Hardware Version: 260-2173300
Software Version: 10.5.4.527153-sonic
by simx » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:05 pm
I know everyone in the Richmond and Sunset is excited about their fiber rollouts. But I was wondering if there was any inkling on timing for a rollout in [redacted]. Are we looking at next year, three years, five years? Any idea?
by Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:37 pm
Guest wrote:I'll have to try resetting to defaults and set up everything the next time I go over.
The thing worked only after I created another rule to the application, forward UDP port 22. (???)
by dmar22 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:31 am
Tips of the day: when running the internet speed test turn off antivirus web scan. Many antivirus web scan can slow down internet speed by half.
1909 posts Page 135 of 191