Sonic fiber in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1909 posts Page 134 of 191
by Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:36 pm
Hi Dane,

I live on Quintara (E/W) between 32nd and 33rd. Just checked today and noticed Fiber was available at my address! Please tell me this isn't a mistake! Oh and if I order right away, how long would the wait be for install and service? Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like there may be a backlog of people waiting for install.

Thanks!
by Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:49 pm
Guest wrote:I live on Quintara (E/W) between 32nd and 33rd. Just checked today and noticed Fiber was available at my address! Please tell me this isn't a mistake! Oh and if I order right away, how long would the wait be for install and service? Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like there may be a backlog of people waiting for install.
Note for people who are on E/W streets in Sunset/Richmond or service areas outside of what has been discussed related to Fusion Fiber. If this happens to you, don't post to the forums and ask "Hey Dane, is this too good to be true? Can I order? That would be great. blah blah blah...."

Go ahead and call support or request a callback at https://www.sonic.com/support_cba_request and ask them.
by dane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:45 am
Guest wrote:Hi Dane,

I live on Quintara (E/W) between 32nd and 33rd. Just checked today and noticed Fiber was available at my address! Please tell me this isn't a mistake! Oh and if I order right away, how long would the wait be for install and service? Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like there may be a backlog of people waiting for install.

Thanks!
If the website says you can order, please do order! The sooner, the better.

Yes, we are getting more and more backlogged for installation of new service, but we're working to find and hire more talented people, as well as refining our process to make them as efficient as possible. (And if you know anyone who'd be a great installer for us, do refer them to http://sonic.com/careers - thanks!)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:52 am
Just signed up for Sonic Fiber and live on 23rd ave in the Richmond. Where are you guys at with putting the Richmond avenues online? A few days ago I heard you'd just set up 16th ave.

What's the status??
by dane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:31 pm
Guest wrote:Just signed up for Sonic Fiber and live on 23rd ave in the Richmond. Where are you guys at with putting the Richmond avenues online? A few days ago I heard you'd just set up 16th ave.

What's the status??
It's moving quickly. We just activated 20th Ave today. We'll be to your spot in the next few weeks, so keep an eye on your email and text for installation updates.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:40 pm
Good news: we have opened up Fusion Fiber service on a portion of the East/West streets in San Francisco's Sunset and Richmond! These are streets where we had backbone strand, but were not yet hosting drops to customer homes due to cost concerns. (East/West streets are much lower housing density per linear foot compared to the North/South Avenues, so we've been waiting to see what metrics we achieve on the Avenues before deciding if we can make a business case for the Streets.)

The new coverage is now integrated in the website, so you can check availability online. For existing customers, check the connectivity upgrade tool in https://members.sonic.net/ - and for new customers, simply visit Sonic.com to check your address and get started.

The coverage adds:

Anza from 2nd to 30th
Balboa from 30th to 48th
Kirkham from 7th to 29th
Kirkham from 32nd to 36th
Kirkham from 45th to La Playa
Lawton from 29th to 32nd
Moraga from 42nd to 45th
Quintara from 16th to 18th
Quintara from 20th to 36th
Quintara from 42nd to Great Highway
Ulloa from 20th to 47th
Vincente from 14th to 18th

We'll continue to evaluate the remainder of the East/West streets in Western San Francisco, and if we achieve adequate uptake of fiber in the region to make the business case, we will build to serve them. If you live in an area not served, you can help by spreading the word about Sonic fiber in the area!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Larry » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:56 pm
I 'm in San Jose, my internet still down as of now. Is there any update for San Jose area?
by dane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:42 pm
Larry wrote:I 'm in San Jose, my internet still down as of now. Is there any update for San Jose area?
We don't have any known or widespread issue affecting customers in San Jose. Please do contact support, you can click for a call or even text with them, here: http://sonic.com/support
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bbusby » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:55 pm
Just wanted to thank your crew for a pretty good response to what sounded like an intractable fiber problem in SF -- went from no service around 0800 (phone or data) to everything perking around 1230, with good visibility as to status on the /etc/motd. Not enough credit posted here to your bit-herding posse.
by dane » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:07 pm
bbusby wrote:Just wanted to thank your crew for a pretty good response to what sounded like an intractable fiber problem in SF -- went from no service around 0800 (phone or data) to everything perking around 1230, with good visibility as to status on the /etc/motd. Not enough credit posted here to your bit-herding posse.
Thanks. This was our first significant outage on the fiber product, and I know the team wasn't happy to end up there. They've worked around the issues, but will be working to squash the bugs that were the root cause with a vengeance.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
1909 posts Page 134 of 191