"Check Availability" by phone number--??

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by ankh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 am
Neighbor called me just now -- he'd gone to sign up at the Fusion page (he knows two neighbors on the block are happy Sonic customers)

So he put his number in at
http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/
I assume he used the "not ATnT" checkbox when trying numbers (he's on Earthlink; we've already got Fusion).

And it returned the message that Fusion isn't offered for his number.
Then he tried putting _our_ phone number in, and got the same "not available" message.

He'll be calling the voice line by now.
I expect you'll sort it out for him (he knows to give my userid as referrer)

I'm guessing the lookup tool needs more explanation -- so people who could get Fusion service don't give up if the lookup says 'not available' on the first try. Maybe it should pop up the voice number to verify?

(If Fusion isn't taking new customers on our block -- please tell me what's up)
by wa2ibm » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 pm
Don't assume anything. Remember, the phone number entered HAS to be an AT&T serviced POTS phone number. Not Comcast, not ACN, not Sonic/Fusion or anything else. You say he's got Earthlink: is that for phone or just DSL?

In either case, he should check the "not AT&T" check box and fill in his street address. If using that option, the phone number doesn't have to be supplied.

As you found out, putting in your phone number doesn't work because it's no longer an AT&T POTS line, it's Fusion.
by ankh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:47 pm
Yep, once you know what it means, it makes sense.

We can check if Fusion is available at your location now, one of two ways
-- if you pay ATnT for your phone service now, tell us your phone number:______
-- If you pay any other company for your phone service now, tell us your street address: ________
If you're not sure who supplies your phone service now -- the street address will work to look you up.
(If we're not there yet, call and ask how soon we'll be there .....)

-- N6VSB
by Guest » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:48 pm
In San Jose, CA (95131) area, I tried Check Availability by address (for Home internet), and (depending on address) all either report not available, or I get:

Your location is about 11,335 wire feet from our local serving office.
Please confirm your address information ...

from that point on (after confirming address) it offers choice of available phone numbers, and eventually gives form for ordering/signup (which I don't want to do, therefore did not progress past there, and had to give up on "Check Availability").

That is, it never tells me what kind (speeds) of DSL service that address can get.

Do I have to signup (give full personal identification details, beyond just address) before even knowing what service is available?

Or user is supposed to interpret 11k feet as: too far to matter, DSL will be 1Mbps or less?

If I try Sonic's Santa Rosa address, I get something different (more useful), gives X feet behind a "Remote Terminal", and at least reports real DSL speeds offered (up to 6Mpbs).
by toast0 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:30 pm
If you're eligible for Fusion, the online qualifier doesn't give a speed estimate. I think this is partly because speed estimates are complex, and usually wrong (the wirefeet estimate is also usually wrong!), and also partly because with Fusion, you'll get the best speed they can deliver to you.

The best way to estimate is http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slidesh ... ?c=1729540 (afaik, there might be something newer). From that, I'd say you should probably get around 3-4Mbps, but could vary from 1-8Mbps.

For AT&T line shared DSL (what you're forced to get if you're behind a remote terminal), they give you a list of speed tiers you qualify to order, but that doesn't actually indicate you'll achieve those speeds (if you order something that ends up not being delivered, I think they can get you changed to a slower tier).
by Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:16 pm
Thanks. I had thought it should be a bug, however now:

conclusion is "Check Availability" is as clear as mud, and assumes too much knowledge on part of the user.

Never says No, Yes, or Yes with qualifications, just launches into signup.
by dane » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:47 pm
Guest wrote:Thanks. I had thought it should be a bug, however now:

conclusion is "Check Availability" is as clear as mud, and assumes too much knowledge on part of the user.

Never says No, Yes, or Yes with qualifications, just launches into signup.
It should say "Yay, Fusion service is available at your location! You are X feet from our serving equipment. Sign up below..etc.."

But, that said, you're not the first to complain that the "Yes!" isn't clear enough. We're working on a new signup form.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1