stop using wordpress and ftp sight to server instead

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by varment » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am
I am helping a friend that has a domain registered with sonic and wordpress sight here on sonic. I want to build a sight in Dreamweaver for him and ftp it to his folder here on sonic. I believe I need to stop the url from being forwarded to the wordpress sight? Can someone help me there>

I do have the ftp address, used name and password so can put the sight there, Just thought I needed to do something first?

Thank you
by thulsa_doom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Presuming this person has their Wordpress installed on our web server, you can simply move or delete the Wordpress files in your friend's web directory. The FTP server you'll want to connect to is ftp.sonic.net, and the default web directory is /home/WWW_pages/username/domainname.tld (where "username" is your friend's account name with us, and "domainname.tld" is whatever the domain name is).

As for the possibility of the domain being forwarded to wordpress.com (where they provide hosting for sites themselves), you can remove url forwarding through our member tools at https://members.sonic.net/websites/hosting/type/
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by varment » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:00 pm
just to make sure, the folder with the wordpress files I wil remove is the one sonic will want me to use to upload his websight files to?

thank you
by thulsa_doom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 am
Generally speaking, yes. You may want to download a copy of those files before you delete them just in case somebody wants to put things back the way they were.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by varment » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm
thank you will do
5 posts Page 1 of 1