Creating a non cgi-bin directory path

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by srcc » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm
I'm trying to install the Bulletin Board product, phpBB, on the srcc.com website. This is the same product as Sonic uses for this forum

I've installed it and the product works fine but the ACP (Administrative Control Panel) does not work. The ACP is written in php but its documentation says that it will not run in a cgi-bin directory. I've installed it in a path
/usr/local/lib/httpd/cgi-bin/srcc so (I assume) I need to make a new directory structure that does not include the cgi-bin node.

However, using Fireftp I've not been able to create a new directory above the cgi-bin node. It looks like a permissions problem, I've tried to modify them but no luck. My secondary goal it to place the product in a directory structure that will allow folk to access it by going to something short and snappy like "srcc.com/BB".

Clearly I don't know what I'm doing but if someone can help me with this and keep me from breaking something I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, Gordon
by thulsa_doom » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 am
Is there any particular reason you don't just put it in your web directory? For most php applications the cgi-bin directory is unnecessary.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by gordons » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 pm
Web directory? Displaying my ignorance here!

Using Fireftp I connect to /usr/local/lib/httpd/cgi-bin/srcc but I cannot get permissions to create any additional directories above the cgi-bin level. Clearly I'm approaching this wrong!

How do I access the web directory? Where should I start ?
by thulsa_doom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 am
Your normal (non-CGI) web directory is at /home/WWW_pages/username/ (so the one for srcc is at /home/WWW_pages/srcc). Your hosted domain is going to be in a subdirectory of with the same name as the domain, so it would be in /home/WWW_pages/srcc/domainname.com (replace "domainname" with your domain's name, of course).

Whenever somebody goes to your domain name, they ask our web server for it, and we give them the contents of that subdirectory. An exception is made for requests for your domain's "cgi-bin" and "cgi" subdirectories, but that's basically support for legacy installations.

So if you tell your FTP client to go to /home/WWW_pages/srcc/ then open the directory you find there that matches your domain name, you can make a new directory like "phpBB" there and put your bulliten board files in there. The full path for those files would be /home/WWW_pages/srcc/domainname.com/phpBB/. People would then get to it by going to http://domainname.com/phpBB/.

I hope that helps!
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
4 posts Page 1 of 1