Blocking Numbers

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
143 posts Page 10 of 15
by mpulse » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:47 pm
kevinmcm,
What does the caller ID say besides the number?
by kevinmcm » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:48 pm
The phone number and name are fake.
1-253-382-9083
CUSTOMER SUPPOR

408-337-0268
DISCOUNT CENTER

1-650-254-6505
MT VIEW CA

1-786-358-9772
CARD SERVICES

1-408-357-4634
LOS GATOS CA

1-213-814-2555
LOSANGELES CA

1-218-716-1166
Private

1-702-517-5244
OPINION POLL

1-702-517-5244
OPINION POLL

1-702-517-5244
OPINION POLL

1-971-220-1779
LOWER INTEREST

1-310-742-3232
CMTN CMTN CA

1-360-474-3900
LOWER INTEREST

1-310-742-3232
CMTN CMTN CA

1-503-208-2008
Jeffers, Kevin

1-253-382-9031
Unavailable

1-818-338-6019
STICKER CITY

1-206-496-0929
WINNER

1-206-496-0929
WINNER

1-408-984-0107
AMER BENEFIT

1-408-984-0105
AMER BENEFIT

1-503-208-2008
Jeffers, Kevin

408-337-0268
DISCOUNT CENTER

1-408-984-0122
AMER BENEFIT

1-408-199-3353
Unavailable

1-218-716-1166
Private

1-408-984-0122
AMER BENEFIT

1-408-984-0105
AMER BENEFIT

1-408-984-0105
AMER BENEFIT
by mpulse » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 am
kevinmcm,
A few of those numbers repeat but the IDs repeat more often. If I had the blocking capability mentioned above, I would block all those names as they come through. Also using a combination of area codes and exchanges. Eventually I will get most if not all blocked.

Its sort of like an Ebay search. You can set up Ebay to notify you when something is up for auction you want.
Inevitably, other things show up from the same search string that have nothing to do with what you want. So you add a "block" for that item. After a while, those accumulated blocks really cut down on the "spam". It is not a "silver bullet" but it works rather well.

In the meantime, I feel for you with all those calls. I got a new number about 2 years ago and since Sonic is just using AT&T's infrastructure, its an AT&T recycled number. The AT&T rep said they park numbers from cancelled service for a year but the phone rang off the hook for over 12 months. I let the answering machine answer it all to hopefully give some of them time to give up. Then I listened for "legitimate" calls that were seeking to collect on someone and I called them back and told them the number had been recycled. That cut it down now to less. "Marissa Davis" keeps getting called and I don't know if she keeps using the number to avoid the calls or the collection agencies just call every number they think could work regardless of what they are told.

Effectively, I am only getting half the use of my phone: I have not given the number to anyone yet (almost 2 years now!)because I am not answering it for all the "spam" calls. I only use it to dial out.
If our cell phones start getting the same treatment, I am just going to turn all the ringers off and never answer again!
by dane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:25 pm
mpulse wrote:Effectively, I am only getting half the use of my phone: I have not given the number to anyone yet (almost 2 years now!)because I am not answering it for all the "spam" calls. I only use it to dial out.
If our cell phones start getting the same treatment, I am just going to turn all the ringers off and never answer again!
A suggestion: have Sonic.net discard your current number and assign you a new one! Then, give it out and use it. :)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mpulse » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 am
Hi Dane,
That's great that you are taking the time to watch this communication!
I have hesitated switching numbers because I fear it will just start the process all over again.

But otherwise, you run a great service and I keep spreading the word about it in my neighborhood. I may have to look into what it will take to get you folks to run fiber here!
by randyshaw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm
dane wrote:
mpulse wrote:Effectively, I am only getting half the use of my phone: I have not given the number to anyone yet (almost 2 years now!)because I am not answering it for all the "spam" calls. I only use it to dial out.
A suggestion: have Sonic.net discard your current number and assign you a new one! Then, give it out and use it. :)

The number of calls coming to our home is increasing, as described by others here. The calls are going to force me back to AT&T if my wife does not want to change our phone number.

Is Fusion at or near having AT&T style blocking or something even cooler? Really soon? Thanks in advance for an update.
by dane » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:28 pm
Yes, we are committed to delivering a blocking feature to Fusion customers. I'm sorry it's taken so long!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Dave » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 am
Do you have a date that you are worked towards to enable blocking numbers? I'm getting harassed as well.
by dane » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm
Dave wrote:Do you have a date that you are worked towards to enable blocking numbers? I'm getting harassed as well.
Sorry to hear that. We do not yet have a firm delivery date. Do ask them to add you to their do-not-call list. We've seen many customers who receive repeated calls but who choose not to answer them, and not to ask to be not called, so the calls continue, in massive volume. The auto-dialers just keep calling!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 pm
dane wrote:We do not yet have a firm delivery date. Do ask them to add you to their do-not-call list. We've seen many customers who receive repeated calls but who choose not to answer them, and not to ask to be not called, so the calls continue, in massive volume. The auto-dialers just keep calling!
Dane, I am sure you did not mean to blame your customers for getting repeated unwanted calls.

Of course what you seem to be suggesting is impossible. If it is an auto-dialer giving a pre-recorded message, there is no one to tell "stop calling me." Even if we were to wait on the line to be transferred to a representative, it's not going to be someone with any control (or probably knowledge of) the calling.

I answer all my calls because hanging up on them is easier than erasing the voice mail they otherwise leave. The pre-recorded messages do not tell you who is really calling or how to reach them. They certainly do not give any hint on how to get off their call list. And why would they? I'm already on the federal do-not-call-list so they are breaking the law to call me in the first place.

And, honestly, getting a live human doesn't always improve things. I got a call the other day trying to sell me something and when I told the guy to take me off their list, he laughed in my face (he actually sounded stoned; he was giggling then and when I answered the phone). I got another call from them 2 minutes later and a third 2 minutes after that. That guy was a total ass and but said he'd remove me. That was the last call and yes I did report them to the feds (if the caller ID number was correct, maybe it will do something).

Let me reiterate...you seem to be suggesting that the onus is on the customer to tell those companies to stop calling. Otherwise, how could they possibly know we don't want their calls, yes? But, for those of us on the do-not-call-list, the calls are illegal, whether or not we answer them, whether or not we tell the person (or machine) on the other end to cut it out. You might as well be blaming victims of theft for not telling the robbers to leave them alone.

Blocking won't be perfect but there are a lot of companies that do use the same number on the caller ID each time. At the very least I can block those. It's another tool to use. A very important one at that.

Please make it a priority.

Thanks,
Cyndi
143 posts Page 10 of 15