Resolving host takes foreeeeeeeeeeverrrrrr

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by eriksr » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:18 pm
I'm not sure how long this has been going on -- a couple months at least? -- but I've sorta hit my limit with it. If I go to certain sites -- imgur, Twitter, YouTube -- it takes a godawful long time to connect, anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds.
This seems to happen on highly trafficked sites. Smaller sites seem to load up just fine.

I've tried rebooting my modem and my wireless router. I've tried changing my DNS server settings. I'm not sure what else to do -- any insight?
by virtualmike » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm
I just tried all three sites you mentioned, and all loaded within two seconds.

Is your DNS set in the router, or in your computer? The latter would override the former.
by eriksr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:46 am
virtualmike wrote:I just tried all three sites you mentioned, and all loaded within two seconds.

Is your DNS set in the router, or in your computer? The latter would override the former.
I've set DNS in my router. I then noticed the modem had an option to specify DNS so I set it there, too, to no effect. I'm on a Mac, by the way. My wife, on the same wireless network (and also on a Mac) experiences the sam frustrations.j
by clairet » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:29 pm
Are you using Sonic's DNS servers or something else like open dns?
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by eriksr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:19 pm
clairet wrote:Are you using Sonic's DNS servers or something else like open dns?
I started out with Sonics DNS, then tried switching to Google's public DNS. Haven't tried OpenDNS since it gave me some grief a few years back.
by adame » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 am
eriksr wrote: I've set DNS in my router. I then noticed the modem had an option to specify DNS so I set it there, too, to no effect. I'm on a Mac, by the way. My wife, on the same wireless network (and also on a Mac) experiences the sam frustrations.j
Can you try specifying our DNS servers in both computers to see if that makes a difference? They're 208.201.224.11 and 208.201.224.33
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 am
I had this... it was a router DNS proxy thing.
I eventually switched to a static IP address.
Try running "dnsbench" if you can to pinpoint the problem.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 pm
8 posts Page 1 of 1