Thunderbird won't connect to the Internet

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
17 posts Page 2 of 2
by milt73 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:45 am
I am now getting the same problem. After working flawlessly for years, Thunderbird 17.0.8 suddenly stopped fetching mail this morning. It says 'connecting to pop.sonic.net' for several seconds; then nothing. The application itself seems to be working fine.

telnet doesn't connect, either. I get 'connecting to pop.sonic.net .... ' and it just hangs.

It would help, if you could post a reasonable summary of whatever my settings should be for Thunderbird. It looks like your excellent review at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Windows_Mail_POP3 might be several years old. For starters; should my port be set to 110, 995 or 465? Your docs aren't clear to me. None of these ports work, anyway.

Also, if you happen to know of some troublesome settings on Windows 7, it would be nice to know what those are, too.

thanks,

milt
by virtualmike » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:44 pm
Here are the POP3 settings I'm using, on Thunderbird 17.0.8:

Server Type: POP Mail Server
Server Name: pop.sonic.net
Port: 995
User Name: <mine>
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal password

But the telnet error makes me concerned that you're not actually connected. Can you ping www.google.com ?
by milt73 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:57 pm
thanks, virtualmike. My settings match yours.

I can ping www.google.com. It comes back in 44ms today.

My settings match yours. I can SEND mail successfully, using Thunderbird -- I just can't RECEIVE my mail off the mail server.

milt brewster
by virtualmike » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:35 pm
Are you running any type of anti-virus that is supposed to check for mail-borne threats?
by mit73 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:35 pm
... I'm running Norton Internet Security.
by Guest » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:59 pm
mit73 wrote:... I'm running Norton Internet Security.
success!

Norton Internet Security: Settings : Email --> off

Thunderbird immediately downloaded about 160 messages.

I never would have thought that this was the problem. I still have no idea why Norton would suddenly start screwing with my email download after 225 days of flawless downloading. But it apparently did. Thanks again,

One more note: I had to set my port to 995 from 110 and exit and restart Thunderbird to set the port properly.

milt73
by virtualmike » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:48 pm
I've encountered several other people who have been stymied by an antivirus package that doesn't disclose what it's really doing. :mrgreen:
17 posts Page 2 of 2