DNS HELP! Mumble not resolving correct ip? Please help!

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by erickpk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:56 pm
Hi guys,

A buddy of mine recently set up a public Mumble server for Killing Floor. IP: dal.eoreality.net Port: 64764. I joined just fine until Sunday, at which point Mumble stopped seeing the server. Furthermore, I found out that the ip Mumble is resolving isn't the correct IP? My client(s) resolve 209.204.190.68 when in fact the server is actually at 64.120.63.3.

I ran pingplotter on the ip my client resolved and it said that I was dnsblocked. I am able to trace the correct ip just fine; no dnsblock. The problem is that for 2 days now Mumble isn't resolving the correct ip?

The techs at eoreality suggested that I do a dnsflush. I found this to be pointless as I tested the server on another machine; a machine that until that point didn't even have mumble installed, nor had it ever visited eoreality.net. Which brings me to another point: I can't even browse to eoreality.net to ask what's up on their support forums?

Every time I try and visit http://eoreality.net/ my browsers (firefox and ie) both give me the "it's a trap! this is a phishing/malware site!!" and they both won't let me go any further. This is the strangest thing I've ever seen?

Any ideas on what's going on?
by toast0 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 pm
It looks like this site is being blocked by Sonic's nameservers. You can change your dns to the opt-out settings to resolve it anyway: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/List_of_rec ... NS_servers

Maybe if you change the title here to something about DNS Reputation, then Sonic.net people will shed some more light?
by erickpk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:10 pm
ok, but, oddly, it worked just fine for several days. it also works just fine entering the ip.
by kgc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 pm
The most likely cause for this is that the domain was being used to distribute malware of some variety. If the site itself is reputable a common cause for this is that an application on the site was exploited and was being used for phishing or malware distribution.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
4 posts Page 1 of 1