New DSL Modem - sonic support to the rescue

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by gfleeman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:06 pm
When my original ZTE DSL modem died this week, Sonic support confirmed the modem death.
In a work bind, I rushed to the nearest Fry's and purchased DLink DSL-520B: ~$50. After an hour of attempting to config on my own I called Sonic support. After intense 2+ hours off/on we found a config setting that the new DLINK would not reset (fail to config.)
Second day I returned the D-Link (there was no more stock on same modem) and exchanged it for TP-Link TD-8817 ~$30 (again, the single only DSL unit available in stock.) After hours of self-frustration, Sonic suopport added again multiple call-backs and continued guidance. This modem eventually worked well point-2-point to a Mac, but failed to achieve any DHCP IP address with any MS Win7 or my router.
Meanwhile, at 2pm Sonic's Pace modem arrived. Plug in, turn on, 5 minutes later we're back at 16mbps faultlessly.

Due to my house arrangement, I prefer separate modem & wireless/router. I would prefer a moderate fixed price modem rather than added monthly fee. However, Sonic support has many hours invested in these fixed cost non-functional modems and I have twice that.
If I could have purchased a modem with the correct, approved on-line config or FAQ **if** I could have done so; but there are very few choices and even less stock inventory.
Sonic support was superb. That is at the very least a year's of monthly modem in my tally. Deepest thanks and regards for their support.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:39 pm
gfleeman For the record... what was the config setting on the DSL-520B that would not work?
There is a past post on this at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=140
by Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:43 pm
For the DLink DSL-520B, the configs we set simply wouldn't save. We were enabling DHCP and attempting to set up as a bridge modem (to my router.) The modem would allow the settings in the menu but would not save those settings in any "save method" we tried.
Otherwise, the Sonic staff seemed to have the right recipe to enable it.
There was only this one unit available at the local (3) Fry's stores, prompting my change to the second model (TP-Link.)

During the process with the TP-Link, we attempted referencing the earlier model TD-W8960N which has a document stating "Advanced Setup" & a second tab to enable DHCP. The new model does not have this tab nor DCHP setup page.
This modem also would not allow assignment to VPI to 0 and VCI to 35. (specifically, VPI was OK but modem would not allow VCI to 35.) regardless, this modem eventually did allow single Mac & MacAir to achieve point 2 point. The modem would never recognize either my router nor the Windows PC.
--> This model even had a cover spash note "compatible with Sonic" !

Being an IC chips hardware guy, I can understand the frustration of modems & routers changing as often as running shoe models.
gf
3 posts Page 1 of 1