Voice Bug? no dial tone, but able to receive calls

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by nyee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 am
Had this odd experience on my voice line just a few minutes ago. My Fusion line had no dial tone (but DSL was working; splitter at the MPoE -- not at the jack), so I unplugged the phone from the jack and reconnected it, but still no dial tone. Pressed the "flash" button a few times, but nothing. This is the only phone connected in the whole house.

I then called the house from my cell and expected to get a busy signal, but the phone rang. I hung up and then tried the phone again and the dial tone came back. Anyone else every experience this?

I only noticed the no dial tone because I have an "Insta Jack/EasyJack" device (like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B4S8VC ) that allows me to get a dial tone to my DirecTV DVR which doesn't have a phone jack near it. That device's LED is red when the phone is in use/off hook and green when it's not, and it was red even though no one was on the phone. I disconnected the EasyJack, thinking that it might be doing something, but when I plugged my phone directly to the jack, it still had no dial tone until I called from my cell.
by dane » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 am
This is a rare, but known bug. Fusion line doesn't provide dialtone, until "reset" by an incoming call. This doesn't affect your ability to receive calls, but is a nuisance if you don't have a mobile to call yourself and "reset" it.

We are currently testing a new software release which we believe will fix this issue, and we hope to have that pushed out to all cities in the next thirty to sixty days.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nyee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 am
ok great :) glad to know that it was a known issue
by Guest » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:47 pm
That seems kind of lame. So in this situation, rare though it may be, you can't use your phone to make a call unless you have another phone to call it first. Why not just make the call on the cell and save the time, effort, and $$$ of the can't-divorce-it-from-Internet-access Fusion phone? Thought Sonic was positioning itself as a *real* phone company....
by desertflyer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:46 pm
Guest wrote:Thought Sonic was positioning itself as a *real* phone company....
Did you miss the part where they are actively working on fixing the issue? I'd much rather them be transparent about it then pretend there is nothing wrong. I use my Fusion line daily and have never experienced this issue, so I would imagine it's fairly rare.
by baphomette » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:27 pm
Am currently dealing with this problem as I type. As I don't own a cell phone, I can't call myself and the idea of having to ask other people to call me in order to reset my phone is unacceptable. Do you have a time frame for fixing this issue?
by virtualmike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 pm
baphomette wrote:Do you have a time frame for fixing this issue?
dane wrote:... we hope to have that pushed out to all cities in the next thirty to sixty days.
by dane » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:06 am
baphomette wrote:Am currently dealing with this problem as I type. As I don't own a cell phone, I can't call myself and the idea of having to ask other people to call me in order to reset my phone is unacceptable. Do you have a time frame for fixing this issue?
Sorry about this! If your Fusion line were stuck in this state but your Internet was working, you could just have support call you, that'd fix it. :)
http://www.sonic.net/support/index.shtml
(Click the "Request a call" button.)

On that call, you could just report that you Fusion line was unable to make outgoing calls, a known bug - and then it'll be working again because you got an incoming call.

The new code which we believe fixes this issue has been deployed do a few cities so far, and we're double-checking for any problems and to assure that it actually fixes the bug before we begin the process of rolling out to all locations. That process takes some time, as it's a big network.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1