email server settings?

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by argyriou » Mon May 20, 2013 8:14 pm
Today, my (android) phone's native email application stopped working. About 8am.

I had my account settings to use pop3.sonic.net:110 and smtp.sonic.net:587. Reading the wiki, it looks like I'm supposed to use pop.sonic.net:995 and mail.sonic.net:587. The "Quick Reference Guide" confirms these. I've entered them into my phone's email app, and I still can't download the email I've received since this morning.
by argyriou » Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 pm
Adding to above - using SSL or no security makes no difference.
by kgc » Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 pm
Did you restart the app and/or reboot the phone to make sure that didn't fix it?

You can use any of the ports for mail and pop (why aren't you using IMAP?) but there are some security advantages to using the implicit SSL ports - 465 for SMTP, and port 995 for POP3. Or, just be sure to configure the client to require or always use SSL (not just "when available") on port 587 for SMTP and 110 for POP3.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by argyriou » Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 pm
It seems to have been an app problem. Rebooting the phone - twice - didn't fix it, but deleting the account and re-adding it did, eventually.
4 posts Page 1 of 1