A couple questions about Internet service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Alex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 pm
Hello,

I am considering switching from AT&T + MegaPath (former Speakeasy) DSL to Sonic.net and I have a couple questions for you:

1) What is the exact process for switching? Should I terminate my account DSL with MegaPath first? Or just order sonic.net first and terminate MegaPath and AT&T accounts later? What is the "downtime" for phone and DSL service during the switch?

2) I run my personal mail server at home and I read that port 25 is open for all static IPs. Could you please confirm that?

3) Lastly, I also read that you are happy to setup reverse DNS on static IP as long as the direct mapping works. Could you please confirm that as well?

Thank you in advance,

Alex
by wa2ibm » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:37 pm
Alex:

1) Go online and order Sonic first. Do NOT contact AT&T or MegPath first. When the line is switched over to Sonic from AT&T, a "line loss" transaction goes to them and they'll refund any outstanding charges on your line. After your Sonic service is online, THEN contact MegaPath to discontinue your service with them. Ask if they will forward future emails to your Sonic email address, some ISP's will do that, some will charge for that service. Typically, downtime is between 15 and 60 minutes, usually on the 15 minute end of things.

2). Yes, if you're using Fusion and request a static IP, all ports will be open.

3). Reverse DNS is settable from Member Tools, you don't have to call in to have that done. Just ensure that forward DNS can be resolved before you go there to do it.

Bill - just another Sonic customer who's done all of the above.
by Alex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:54 pm
Thanks for the answer!
3 posts Page 1 of 1