Dynamic IP address available on login member tools web page

General discussions and other topics.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by alfiole » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm
People use DNS to get their dynamic IP associate with some name.
I am suggesting to have the IP of the remote machine available as part of web login.
For instance under the section "internet connection" to know what IP as been associated
to the account. I have a complicated way to do it but it sound pretty straight for sonic to
just make that available to each user. This is specially appealing to LINUX/UNIX guys.

A.
by klui » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm
Why should Sonic do this when there are many tools available on the internet that can provide this information? If you want to use DDNS, use dyndns.com. If you just want the IP, just use curl ifconfig.me.
by aw » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:10 am
A reason why I used to want this (Back before having a static IP) was that if, for some reason, my modem reset and my dynamic IP was re-assigned, I could no longer remotely access my systems if I was off-site. I actually had to call support a couple times and ask what my current IP was :lol:
by wa2ibm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 am
aw wrote:... if, for some reason, my modem reset and my dynamic IP was re-assigned, I could no longer remotely access my systems if I was off-site.
That's what dyndns.com is for. I have static addresses on my two Sonic circuits, but I have other family members with whom I maintain VPN connections who are on dynamic addresses. Dyndns allows me to set up those VPNs using host names that always track back to their IP address. Most routers these days have support for dyndns and some have setups for other similar services.
by kgc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 pm
We've been sitting on a Dynamic DNS API for domains hosted here for a while. Pending a final code review we'll probably launch it as a Labs service real soon now. We have no plans to provide a client at this time but it should be easy to write either a cli or system-tray application.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by klui » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
kgc wrote:We have no plans to provide a client at this time but it should be easy to write either a cli or system-tray application.
Or have people download the client at dyndns.com?
by kgc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 pm
Our API allows users to set A records of the configured hosts for domains that are hosted here, at sonic.net - this isn't something that the dyndns.com client can support.
Kelsey Cummings
by kgc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:10 pm
In case it is missed, we published our dyndns rest api yesterday.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1185&p=7048
Kelsey Cummings
8 posts Page 1 of 1