can't route mail through mail.sonic.net to mydomain.com

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by microvu2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:08 pm
Hello, I am using msmtp on my servers, and whenever I attempt to send mail to one of my mail aliases back into sonic.net, the message gets accepted by the server, but never winds up in my inbox.

I spoke to one of the tech support agents, and he was unable to figure out what was going wrong, but I suspect that the outgoing mailserver is having trouble transferring mail straight to the incoming server.

the following are my msmtp settings:
account sonic
host mail.sonic.net
#port 587
port 465
from internal@mydomain.com
auth on
user valid.sonic.address@sonic.net
password *******
tls on
syslog LOG_MAIL
account default : sonic
tls_certcheck off
tls_min_dh_prime_bits 512
tls_starttls off
by kgc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm
If your mail is both not getting through to the recipient and not being returned to the sender you have one or two problems.

a) the mail is being silently discarded by the receiving server or is lost in a spam folder, etc.

or

a) the mail is being refused by the receiving server and the [envelope] from address is not deliverable and therefore our servers cannot deliver the DSN.

Support has access to outbound mail logs and should be able to help you figure out what is going on.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by microvu2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm
support confirmed that it is leaving the outgoing mail server and never hitting the incoming mail server.
part of the issue may be that you handle both outgoing and incoming mail for us, causing some missing info somewhere. the out going server shows that the message sends successfully, wheather or not it actually gets recieved anywhere.
by kgc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am
The outgoing mail (relay) servers would only send it directly to the incoming (MX) server - there are very few cases where we silently discard mail so it isn't likely that is the problem. Do you have a ticket number I can look at to get the details?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by microvu2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:45 pm
I called back today and got the issue resolved, I needed to send from an address that your mail servers recognised as a valid domain e-mail address.
5 posts Page 1 of 1