VPN on iOS?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 2 of 2
by orm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm
so "should be in the next iOS 6 release" basically.
by jhipps » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 am
Someone answered the question on the Apple support boards -- this worked for me and may work for you:

"I solved my issue by making sure the Cellular (service which I have not yet started on this iPad mini) was turned off, and that I was connected via a wireless account. If celluar is on, it looks like the iPad mini keeps trying to make the connection voia non-existent cell service, and the only way to stop it is to power down and back up."
by virtualmike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm
Interesting issue I discovered tonight...

I changed my home router, and I wanted to remove the old settings from my iPad (iOS 6.0.1). I was able to do that easily with all my other devices--just select the wireless network and click or tap "delete"/"remove"/"forget"/whatever. However, I couldn't find that option on the iPad.

I did a little Googling, but none of the results matched exactly what I was trying to do. However, one article I read said that while a lot of people are seem to be having network problems with iOS devices upgraded from iOS 5.x to 6, the issue isn't the network drivers, but instead, that the network settings seem to get corrupted during the upgrade. The author suggests the easiest way to remedy that is to go into Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This basically deletes all configured wireless networks.

I did that and reconfigured for the current router. Then, I noticed my VPN entry was gone (which makes sense). I reconfigured VPN per the settings in the Sonic.net wiki, then tried to connect, and I got an instant connection.

This makes me wonder if the problems some of us are/were having with VPN on iOS devices upgraded to iOS 6 is also due to corrupted settings as a result of the upgrade.
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:45 am
As a follow-up, on Friday, I was using my iPad at a work site. After connecting to the facility's wifi, I then started VPN on my iPad. VPN started up right away.

For anyone having trouble with VPN on iOS, I think the "reset" option is worth trying.
by dane » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 am
Interesting thought indeed. For anyone having VPN on iOS problems, will you give this a try?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 am
Another follow-up on this. We spent the weekend in Marina, CA, and the wifi at our accommodations wasn't particularly great. However, I was able to establish a connection with Sonic.net VPN without any problems. Throughput sucked (slower than dialup), but it sucked without VPN.
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:19 pm
Yet one more follow-up. On Thursday, I used VPN on the iPad while at a customer's site. The customer's wifi was one of the places where I could not get VPN to connect just a couple of weeks ago.

@Dane: since I was successful at a site where I'd previously had problems, I do believe this is resolved. I believe the issue was corruption of the VPN settings by an upgrade from iOS 5.x to iOS 6.x. By resetting networking on the iPad, I was forced to reconfigure VPN.
by dane » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 pm
Interesting and odd. Thanks much for the follow up!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:45 am
Not to beat a dead horse, but last Sunday, my iPad announced it needed to update to iOS 6.1. I was at a friend's house at the time, so i let it proceed while I focused on the events on TV.

I was traveling the rest of the week, and I had major problems just getting connected to wifi hotspots, much less being able to start a VPN session. I attributed it to a lousy wifi setup at our accommodations.

Upon returning home, I realized I still was having problems, and I couldn't start VPN here, either.

I reset my network in Settings, reconfigured for my home router, and created a new VPN configuration. Now everything is working again.

I wonder why Apple is releasing iOS updates that clobber network settings?
19 posts Page 2 of 2