Fusion Roll out in Newark (94560) plans?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by mirror » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:39 pm
Hi,
I occasionally check Fusion availability, and it says my primary residence is approximately 3500 feet from a Remote Terminal. Last year it was 4400+ feet. Is Sonic continuing to expand its network, so we don’t have to choose between $70+/month phone and internet at half the speed or $100/month Cable & Internet?

As a technology consultant I am impressed by your technical support and your great rates. I have recommended Sonic to clients within your Fusion area if I think it can deliver decent speeds at the distance. From actual experience with Fusion installs for clients, I see no reason to pay more for less. Currently, we have Sonic DSL, but would love to save on by combining phone and internet under Fusion. ATT UVerse is a good 3 times as much with Television service, so it is out of the question for budget conscious people and those who rarely watch TV.
by virtualmike » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:25 pm
Fusion will not work behind a remote terminal, unfortunately. A remote terminal is a box that's situated between the phone company's central office and your home. That way, the phone company can work with fewer central offices.

AT&T will not give access to Sonic to put Fusion equipment in remote terminals, so anyone who is served by a remote terminal won't have access to Fusion.
by mirror » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:24 pm
virtualmike wrote:Fusion will not work behind a remote terminal, unfortunately. A remote terminal is a box that's situated between the phone company's central office and your home. That way, the phone company can work with fewer central offices.

AT&T will not give access to Sonic to put Fusion equipment in remote terminals, so anyone who is served by a remote terminal won't have access to Fusion.
I know what RTs are, I was wondering if Sonic was extending its own network further since it the distance has been closed since a year ago. Since the exact network topography is a guarded secret, I was wondering if Sonic had built its own network out or if AT&T moved their RT further from its CO.
by wa2ibm » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:50 pm
I really doubt that AT&T will do anything at all with their RT's. More likely, once they get all of their own customers moved off the RT's onto their VRAD U-verse terminals (which they don't have to share), they'll try to decommission them to put their competitors at a disadvantage. The only hope that we on RT's have is if Sonic decides to deploy fiber in our area.
by virtualmike » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 pm
mirror wrote:... I was wondering if Sonic had built its own network out or if AT&T moved their RT further from its CO.
Either wa2ibm's explanation, or else, the estimate has changed. The reported distance is just an estimate, and there have been tales in this forum in the past where someone checked on one day, was given one distance, checked a few days later, got another distance, and after Fusion wa hooked up, Support indicated yet another number (which likely was the correct number).

Given the difference in the numbers you noted, I suspect it was a difference in estimates.
5 posts Page 1 of 1