unrar command broken? or just way too old?

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by bimscore » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm
Hi all,

I've encountered a problem unpacking a RAR archive while logged via ssh to shell.sonic.net, as documented in the following post on superuser.com:

http://superuser.com/questions/544786/u ... tory-hiera

My one respondent so far is somewhat pointing the finger back at the unrar utility installed here, which appears to be on the order of a decade old.

Questions for the community:
- Have you used unrar on a sonic.net server?
- Did it work for you?
- If not, was the failure mode like the one I describe in my superuser.com post?
- Any known workaround, apart from using a different archive format (like tar)?

Thanks,

M
by joemuller » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:55 am
M,

As an interim fix, you can download the latest unrar utility (use the CentOS version) to your directory on the shell server. I was able to do the following:

Code: Select all

# mkdir ~/bin
# cd ~/bin
# wget 'http://www.rarlab.com/rar/unrar-3.7.7-centos.gz'
# gzip -d unrar-3.7.7-centos.gz
# chmod +x unrar-3.7.7-centos.gz
# mv unrar-3.7.7-centos.gz unrar
Running the above commands will install a newer version of the utility in your local 'bin' directory, which should take higher priority than the currently-installed version.

I hope this helps.

-- Joe @ System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by bimscore » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will try them out and report results when I get a few spare moments.

In the meanwhile, I unpacked the archive on my laptop and then created a new archive there using tar, which unpacked clean on the shell server here.

Best,

M
3 posts Page 1 of 1