What to do if Comcast and U-verse are my only options?

General discussions and other topics.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am
julplusjoaq wrote:The condo building I live in is in the process of providing free Comcast internet service to all units. I currently have Sonic Fusion for both DSL and phone service. Is there a cost effective option with Sonic for retaining the phone service (more specifically the phone number) while canceling the DSL?
Man... I hope that you don't really BELIEVE that your condo is going to provide free Comcast Internet service. The reality is that the condo has signed an exclusive lock-in contract with Comcast, specifying that ALL UNITS WILL PAY (through a non-obvious increase in their monthly dues), whether or not they want, or plan to use, Comcast Internet.

I get really worried when people are so easily fooled by Comcast's anti-competitive sales tactics.
by dane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:38 pm
Very good point. I wonder about the condo board that would force all of the units to move away from their existing service without a good reason.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:11 am
Also, it might be worthwhile to keep the Fusion service intact until you're satisfied the building's Comcast service is reliable. When I had Comcast Internet, it would slow down (sometimes close to dialup speeds) every afternoon around 2 pm and not revert to full speed until around 11 pm. Since the 11 pm to 2 pm speed was higher than the rate I'd purchased, Comcrap reps told me that I should be satisfied with the status quo.

Your Fusion is $40/month, and phone service through any other carrier likely will cost at least $30, and that may not include all the calling features and long distance. If you make a lot of toll calls, that could eat up the $10 difference.
by dane » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 am
I'd love to see the condo board meeting minutes where they opted into this group buy. What were the terms, etc?

Post a PDF!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
14 posts Page 2 of 2