Possible to use different domain in Sonic email?

General discussions and other topics.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by cindylm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 pm
Is it possible to make a message sent from my Sonic email look like it comes from a different email address (non-Sonic)?

My present email host is shutting down their email services. I have used the email address associated with them as my main address for more than twelve years. There's no way I can track down all the places I've used it for logins etc. :shock: So I very much want to keep this address for now.

They will gladly forward messages to my Sonic address, but I want to be able to reply and send mail to my correspondents that looks as if it still comes from my old address. Is there a way to do that? I know this is what spammers do, so I'm afraid there may be barriers against it.
by wa2ibm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:38 pm
Most email clients have a setting where you can insert where your sent mail appears to be coming from. Look into the help information for your mail client to see if there's such a setting. I don't know what mail client you're using, so I wouldn't hazard a guess at this point, but I'm pretty sure it's there somewhere.

I have an inbound email address that's simply a mail forwarding service, they don't actually host any mail. Instead, they forward it where I want them to forward it. My mail client is set to use their domain as the originating domain so those receiving my mail don't know that it's coming through Sonic on the way to them (unless they actually look at the mail headers).
by cindylm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 pm
The clients I'm using are Apple Mail (OS 10.6.8), iPad Mail (iOS 5.1.1), and Sonic's Webmail client. I'm not sure about Apple Mail (not near my computer at the moment), but I see nothing on the iPad setup that looks right for this.
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:02 am
cindylm wrote:... I see nothing on the iPad setup that looks right for this.
It looks complicated at first, but it's actually pretty easy. In mail set up accessed through Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Find the account and tap on it

On the next box, also tap on the account. You'll see this screen:

In the Email field, enter the email addresses you wish to send "from" -- you can have multiple addresses, separated by comma + space; e.g.:
cindylm@sonic.net, cindy@gmail.com, clm@yahoo.com, me@mydomain.com

In the User Name field, enter the sonic.net mailbox where all your email is directed; e.g., cindylm (your Sonic.net login).

The SMTP field opens another form where you enter the details for the outgoing mail server. You should use the same User Name and Password.
by cindylm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:52 am
Wow, thanks! That "sending" address certainly isn't obvious.

The option to list multiple addresses there is a bit confusing. My first thought was that a recipient would get multiple copies of a message, one sent from each address listed. Since that's pretty absurd, do the multiple addresses allow me to choose which one is listed as the sending address? Or is there another way to use them?
by virtualmike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:29 am
cindylm wrote:?.. do the multiple addresses allow me to choose which one is listed as the sending address? Or is there another way to use them?
Exactly. The first address in the list is the default, but you can tap on the "from" address when composing a new message, and you can pick which sender you want to use.

If you are replying to a message and the "To" or "CC" in the original message has a match with an address in the list, then it will be used as the "from" address in the reply.
by cindylm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:08 pm
Hi, again. I'm finally setting up my desktop client (Apple Mail 10.6.8) for IMAP. I need to be sure my messages sent from my Sonic email look like they comes from my old email address (non-Sonic). Where would I put this in the account settings?

TIA
7 posts Page 1 of 1