TP-Link Router No Internet on Reboot

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by tcyost » Wed May 22, 2024 7:18 pm
Hi all,

I am posting here just to get some ideas. I know Sonic doesn't give support for 3rd party routers.

I am running into an extremely odd issue with this new TP-Link AXE300 that I've purchased. When I reboot the router, the LEDs are red and I have no internet, and it will never connect. I noticed it after an automatic firmware update during the night;
when I woke up I had no internet.

There are several things I can do to fix this:
  • Change any setting on the Internet page in the router settings (things like, which port to use for WAN, MAC address, WAN IP, etc) and click save. Then change it back to what it was before, internet will start working again until I reboot.
  • I can unplug the WAN cable to my fiber ONT and plug it back in and the internet will come back.
  • I can reboot the ONT and the internet will come back, but I suspect this is essentially the same as unplugging it and plugging it back in.
Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I'm also requesting support from TP-Link. I had Sonic clear the MAC address table on the ONT earlier which didn't seem to impact it.

It's not a totally impacting issue since I have a work around that works every time (so far) but I've never had a router behave like this before.

Thank you for any suggestions!
by dane » Wed May 22, 2024 10:05 pm
Call TP Link support? :lol:
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tcyost » Wed May 22, 2024 10:56 pm
Yeah... :lol: I already opened a case with them, just wanted to see if anyone on the Sonic side had any suggestions.
by js9erfan » Thu May 23, 2024 6:41 am
After a router reboot and no WAN connectivity, what does your WAN IP show as? If a valid WAN IP is listed (instead of 0.0.0.0, etc.) are you able to ping an IP like 9.9.9.9 from the router UI? If so it could be a DNS issue and you could try changing the DNS server on the router. If not I would try matching the router's WAN port speed to your ONT (1G or 10G) to see if its a link negotiation issue.

You could also try doing a factory reset in case the last firmware upgrade caused an issue. Or perhaps its a known issue and TP Link will need to resolve.

Good luck.
by tcyost » Thu May 23, 2024 7:53 am
Thanks for the reply! After the reboot, the IP information is all zeroed out so it is not getting an IP address at all. I have the negotiation speed matching, 10g port on ONT to 10g port on the router and set it to only negotiate 10g. After everyone in my home is done with their work from home day I will play around with it some more.
by js9erfan » Fri May 24, 2024 6:54 am
According to the router's manual there's a system log @ Advanced>System>System Log. Any hints there? I assume you tested all of the available WAN ports? And your previous router had no issue obtaining an IP?

As another test you could try placing a dumb switch between the ONT and router to see if its a nic conflict between the 2 devices... Regardless, if TP-Link can't help you might consider sending it back for a different router 8-)
6 posts Page 1 of 1