Upgrade to 10GB in existing 1GB areas Apr 2023 update?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Wed May 08, 2024 5:04 pm
ken830 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm Agree. I waited for over a decade to get Sonic fiber. And now I've been waiting for a few years to upgrade to 10G.

No emails or flyers were ever sent out to gauge interest in 10G upgrades. I think only people who come here on the forums know about the upgrade request button -- that's an extremely small subset of customers.

AT&T is now offering 2Gbps and 5Gbps service all over the Bay Area. As a former subscriber, I have existing AT&T fiber in my home, but their service required the use of their router, which was a big turn-off, so sticking with Sonic would be ideal.
We have only promoted the upgrade option to the sites where the core network is capable and the edge equipment is XGS-PON already. These are mostly sites in Oakland and some limited San Francisco regions. Because the upgrade will take time and planning, we don't want to get lots of customers in queue and waiting when it's going to take a while.

And we haven't seen much competitive pressure from 2 and 5Gbps offerings because those products are just so darned expensive. While 10Gbps is awesome to have, it's not worth paying a huge monthly premium for it while most consumer devices are 1Gbps or limited by WiFi speeds anyway. Don't worry, in the long run we will beat everyone on both performance and price. ;)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Wed May 08, 2024 5:07 pm
joeyyung911 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:49 pm Their first deployment of fiber is only capable of 1Gb. Even if Sonic wanted to offer 2.5, 5Gb, they'd still need to upgrade their network. Whatever the competitors are offering is irrelevant. So, comparing a monopoly to Sonic is idiotic.
It's not the fiber that sets the speed, it's just the electronics at the end. The optical line terminal in the central office and the optical network unit/terminal in the home. Fiber will last and meet our needs for at least half a century, with the electronics on the ends being occasionally swapped out for faster ones.

But yes, while today the majority of our network is XGS-PON and delivers 10Gbps, the older portion is running GPON equipment while is 1Gbps capable. We've got to swap out those endpoints (and make various supporting core and power and cooling upgrades) to roll out 10G in the rest of the network.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
12 posts Page 2 of 2