Shell Server Turn Down

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
38 posts Page 4 of 4
by patty1 » Sat May 04, 2024 5:29 pm
NBS, I also used to use procmail to shuffle lower-priority email out of my main inbox into separate folders that I would check occasionally. After Eudora went away, I finally switched to Apple Mail and stopped reading mail via Terminal, so I haven't used procmail in several years.

If you use Apple Mail, you can set rules for certain messages (based on sender, subject, etc. etc.) to go directly into folders other than Inbox. If you don't use Apple Mail, perhaps you have a desktop mail program with similar functionality.
by virtualmike » Sat May 04, 2024 5:39 pm
nbs wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:43 pm This isn't ideal, so if anyone else has ideas or solutions, I'd love to hear it! Thanks.
A desktop email client, using filters, can sort the incoming emails into appropriate folders. Patty mentioned Apple Mail. I think Windows mail supports filtering. I know that Thunderbird supports filtering on both platforms, and can also be enhanced with a variety of extensions.
by kgc » Mon May 06, 2024 2:41 pm
Procmail is not going away (for the foreseeable future) so there's no need to stop using it. Editing via ftp isn't as easy, but is totally functional.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by meyerbo2 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:05 pm
I also have been using Sonic for many years and am sad to see shell access discontinued. I ssh into the server and use alpine or mutt to read and send email. Like others, I have a procmail filter that filters my email into various folders which I check as needed. I guess I will have to run alpine or mutt on a different host. Can some tell me what changes I would need to make to my .pinerc to get this to work?

The following allows me to view my INBOX and send email after authentication:
smtp-server=mail.sonic.net:465/ssl
inbox-path={imap.sonic.net:993/novalidate-cert/ssl/user=<username>}

But what do I set that will allow me to view email in the folders that my procmail filter has populated? My current .pinerc has the following:
incoming-folders=IN.good ~/mail/IN.good,
IN.junk ~/mail/IN.junk

I've tried adding the server to front of the path (e.g. {imap.sonic.net:993}~/mail/IN.good), but haven't had any luck getting something to work. How do I specify folders on the remote machine? And are there other configuration items that need editing? Like what if I wanted to store my sent-messages or saved-messages on the remote server (e.g. Sonic) instead of my local machine. What would that look like?

Thanks in advance!
by nhdesign » Thu May 16, 2024 6:42 am
The move to panix.com is finished.
cron, at, procmail, . . . moved my domain although still using sonic to host the tucows account,
everything is working.

http://www.panix.com/

Great place, joined them in . . .well, about the same time I joined Sonic.net, after netcom.com imploded.

nhdesign @ everywhere . xxx
by scott » Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 pm
nhdesign wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:27 ampanix.com
Yes. I have a panix.com account myself, and I've also heard good things about the tildeverse.

I posted an inquiry in comp.unix.shell back in March (March 8th), and got a lot of useful replies. (Also a lot of noise -- it is Usenet, after all.)

Panix is BSD, but it is Unix, just not as friendly a Unix as Linux.[*]

[*] I'm a little biased though. However, default logins don't grok UTF-8 unless you
make some changes in your .bash_profile:

Code: Select all

export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export TZ=America/Los_Angeles
by nhdesign » Sat May 18, 2024 5:28 am
Bunch of FTPing, editing scripts for NetBSD,
I had some trouble converting/relearning my "at" commands and was very confused switching over the domain services. No catchall messed me up.
Enjoyed reading the thread. Long thread, it did drift, but had some great posts.
A lot of those folks forget how hard it was when they started out. None of this is easy. Or, it is easy when you know how.

You have been a great help over the years, generous with your time. Thank you for your support. Also Kelsey, and some user name Ross way back when. Will miss Sonic. Wish all the best for you.
by ds_sonic_asif » Sat May 18, 2024 10:05 am
I had been using rsync from a local Linux system to keep a static html tree synced via the shell server. Switching over to using lftp mirror was easy. Took a moment to get the syntax correct and then a small bit of testing to choose options for how deletions and updates are handled.
38 posts Page 4 of 4