Shell Server Turn Down

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
35 posts Page 2 of 4
by nhdesign » Thu May 02, 2024 10:27 am
panix.com
by nhdesign » Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am
Hi Dane,

Divide the cost of maintaining the shell by 100 users and let us know what our cut would be. We might be willing to pay it.

Thanks,
by kgc » Thu May 02, 2024 11:03 am
nhdesign wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am Divide the cost of maintaining the shell by 100 users and let us know what our cut would be. We might be willing to pay it.
I appreciate the sentiment and question but it's honestly not a question about time spent maintaining it, it's about tech debt (or mental tax), distraction and focus. Shell users are an ever dwindling percentage of our customers and we've already gone well beyond the point where there was any justification other than sentimentality on our part to continue to support this service. As someone else commented they've been using shell.sonic.net for more than half of their life - I've been running it for more than half of my life!

We're all sympathetic to the workflow issues this causes for customer's that are using us for hosting services and understand if having shell access to maintain your website is a deal breaker for you.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by pdonahue » Thu May 02, 2024 1:29 pm
I've always used scp to copy files to /home/WWW_pages but apparently I can also use ftp. I used ftp extensively in the days before the web, ssh, etc. I believe that the entire session including password was unencrypted (which was no less secure than telnet, rlogin, xhost +, etc.). If I connect to ftp.sonic.net, is my password sent in the clear? Is there some command line client in Linux (like sftp?) that is more secure?
by kgc » Thu May 02, 2024 1:41 pm
ftp.sonic.net supports ftp-tls so authentication can be encrypted.
Kelsey Cummings
by pdonahue » Thu May 02, 2024 2:06 pm
Cool. Any tips on how to connect with lftp (or any other command line tool) on Linux? "lftp -u username ftps://ftp.sonic.net" seems to want to connect to port 990 by default and that just hangs when I try to do anything. I tried "lftp -u username ftps://ftp.sonic.net:21" but then it gets TLS errors. (I couldn't quickly find an answer on the web and thought that maybe somebody here had a quick answer before I dig further.)
by kgc » Thu May 02, 2024 2:35 pm
I actually have a test demonstrating the lftp works fine with tls and ftp.sonic.net from from a couple of weeks ago and see successful tls negotiation logs on the server. What errors are you seeing?
Kelsey Cummings
by ds_sonic_asif » Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 pm
+1 for details on the future of username.users.sonic.net
by pdonahue » Thu May 02, 2024 2:59 pm

Code: Select all

% lftp -u username ftps://ftp.sonic.net
Password: 
lftp username@ftp.sonic.net:~> dir                
`ls' at 0 [Connecting...]
It just hangs there.
by kgc » Thu May 02, 2024 3:41 pm
pdonahue wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:59 pm

% lftp -u username ftps://ftp.sonic.net
Password: 
lftp username@ftp.sonic.net:~> dir                
`ls' at 0 [Connecting...]
It just hangs there.
Try adding "debug 3" in ~/.lftprc and connect just using ftp://ftp.sonic.net.

You should see something like this:

$ lftp ftp://XXX:YYYY@ftp.sonic.net
lftp XXX@ftp.sonic.net:~> ls
---- Connecting to ftp.sonic.net (69.12.210.156) port 21
<--- 220 ::ffff:69.12.210.156 FTP server ready
Certificate depth: 2; subject: /C=US/O=Internet Security Research Group/CN=ISRG Root X1; issuer: /C=US/O=Internet Security Research Group/CN=ISRG Root X1
Certificate depth: 1; subject: /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3; issuer: /C=US/O=Internet Security Research Group/CN=ISRG Root X1
Certificate depth: 0; subject: /CN=ftp.sonic.net; issuer: /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3 
Kelsey Cummings
35 posts Page 2 of 4