Shell server turn-down

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by dane » Wed May 01, 2024 4:58 pm
https://sonicstatus.com/2024/05/01/shel ... turn-down/

Dane Jasper here, to write a final message of the day (MOTD) to honor the retirement of our shell server platform which will be turned off on June 30th when it's operating system goes end of life.

Since starting Sonic in 1994, the use of Linux has been a key part of our operation, and providing remote text-based shell access to a Linux host has been included in our offerings. Shell access was a very useful capability in the early days of the internet, when home systems were connected at slow speeds, while a centrally hosted shell server would have very high speed access to the internet. And shell access provided a centralized gateway to much of the early culture of the internet, via text-based access to the Usenet discussion forums and internet relay chat (IRC) channels, email and more. Today the internet has largely moved beyond these text-only applications, and Sonic members have too. Today just one hundred die-hard members continue to log in and access our shell service platform. As a result of the evolution of the internet away from shell applications and services, plus the workload involved in keeping a secure shell platform online, we have made the decision to finally shut down our Linux shell platform.

As an alternative, we would suggest now that high speed access is widely available at home, consider installing Linux on a small computer in your home! This was how Scott and I got started with Linux at Sonic, back in the early days of Sonoma InterConnect (SonIC, get it?).

There are also lots of remote cloud-based shell solutions available now too. Here are some starting points if you d like to establish a shellaccount or set up a Linux box yourself:
https://www.linuxtrainingacademy.com/ge ... earn-linux
https://aruljohn.com/freeshell

For those needing to continue to maintain procmail recipes you willl need
to use ftp://ftp.sonic.net/.

To our Linux shell server platform: So long, and thanks for all the fish.

-Dane, Scott, Kelsey and everyone at Sonic.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Wed May 01, 2024 10:02 pm
I Googled "free shell account" and the first hit was: SDF Public Access UNIX System .. Est. 1987

"a community platform for inspiring, facilitating and implementing new ideas"

https://sdf.org/
by coad » Fri May 03, 2024 8:23 pm
This is sad news. I have been using the shell services for as long as I have been using sonic. pine, tin, mutt and a host of other command line programs. Elegant tools for a more civilized age.

<quick story/>
On the day of install after being connected for a few minutes my phone rang. It was Dane on the other end letting me know that they saw that my install was successful. I knew at that time that I would stay with sonic as long as I lived in an area served by them.
</quick story>

Now for the questions: How do I edit my web pages without shell? I have always used vi to edit the files by hand and scp to upload files.
by dane » Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 am
I certainly share your nostalgia and love for the old tools. But we must focus staff here on the tools of deployment related to the continued expansion of our fiber builds across the region and beyond. Shell also presents a security vector we must consider.

Do consider running a shell server in your home. Now that access is full-time and fast, it’s a viable alternative.

You can use FTP to update web site pages FYI.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by timlee » Mon May 13, 2024 9:36 pm
What access will there be to files in home directories currently accessible through sh.sonic.net ?

Or will everything desired have to be copied elsewhere?
by kgc » Tue May 14, 2024 9:23 am
timlee wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:36 pm What access will there be to files in home directories currently accessible through sh.sonic.net ?

Or will everything desired have to be copied elsewhere?
You'll be able to access the contents of your home directory via ftp to ftp.sonic.net.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
6 posts Page 1 of 1