VPN: must I accept the "Profile Name" created by OpenVPN Connect?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by nickim » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 pm
I'm setting up the VPN on my Mac. The "Edit Profile" box has popped up and shows the Profile Name as "(my Sonic username)@ovpn.sonic.net [bundled]". Do I have to accept this Profile Name? I'd rather not create (another) email address and, instead, would prefer to use an existing e-address (if I really need this to be an e-address) or just insert a useful name.
Any ideas?
by virtualmike » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:04 pm
That's not an email address for the profile. It's your Sonic user name plus the name of the VPN server. That's the default when the profile is created.

If you imported a profile from another service (for example, an employer), your profile name for that would be your employer_username@employer_vpn_server.employer.com.

You can also get a VPN profile on Sonic's beta VPN server, where the default profile name would be sonic_username@beta.vpn.sonic.net.

All that being said, yes, you can change the profile name to any useful name you want.
by nickim » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm
Many thanks virtualmike!
3 posts Page 1 of 1