Considering alternatives

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by fnikolac » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 pm
First, I want to say that I'm quite satisfied with Sonic, most especially with the excellent technical support and customer service. That said, I am now considering alternatives.
I live in the far western reaches of San Jose, where all the utilities are underground. No fiber from anyone. I was happy when I was able to dump AT&T and sign up with Sonic many years ago.
There have been a couple of times when my Fusion X2 has failed, both times apparently an issue with the wires. I certainly can't blame Sonic, but nor can I blame AT&T--after all, we're running on wires buried underground nearly 60 years ago, if not longer, and that were never designed with DSL in mind. Last Wednesday, it happened again.
I called Sonic, who in turn called AT&T. The earliest service appointment I could get was today (Monday). The service tech didn't show. I again called Sonic, who called AT&T, and I'm now rescheduled for a tech to come out on Wednesday. IF s/he shows up, I'll have been a week without Internet. I consider that unacceptable.
This is NOT a Sonic problem; it's simply AT&T's lousy customer service that I believe reflects their desire to abandon copper entirely. But the fact is that I'm without Internet, and though I dumped AT&T, I'm still at their mercy when it comes to service.
Consequently, I'm looking at alternatives. They're pretty ugly; I don't know which I hate more, Comcast or AT&T. But unfortunately those are the only other choices I have. Thanks to underground utilities, I don't expect I'll ever see fiber to my home in my lifetime. T-Mobile's 5G Internet isn't available here, and AT&T's Internet Air is still AT&T.
I may have to hold my nose and go to cable, just so I don't have to put up with AT&T.
by joeyyung911 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:54 pm
My preference is Comcast also. No proprietary equipment. Every several years, you may have to get a new modem, but that's it.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by ngufra » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 am
Have yo uconsidered starlink or some other leo satellite solution?

Starlink current price is i think $600 for the device then $120 per month. down speed is multiple hundred Mbps, latency is reasonable about 40 ms. Up speed is not as good but sufficient for most people.
You just need a good view to the northern sky.
3 posts Page 1 of 1