Can't connect to Sonic.net via VPN from iPad

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:02 am
I use VPN on my iPad (with iOS 6.0.1).

I'm traveling at the moment, and I was able to use it earlier this week from the wifi at my accommodations.

However, I now get "Negotiation with the VPN server failed" when I try to start VPN on the iPad.

I'm able to start VPN on my Windows 7 x64 PC (using the Cisco client distributed by Sonic.net) with no problem, so I don't think it's the connection. I've also confirmed that I've disconnected the PC before attempting to start VPN on the iPad, so I don't think that's the problem, either.

Any clues would be appreciated. ...thanks!
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:06 am
I tried again right after posting the note above, and it worked. I was in the midst of shutting down the PC.

However, I had double-checked that the PC was disconnected from VPN before I tried to start it on the iPad. Does Sonic.net check to see if a previously-connected device is still online? Or is there some other problem that's catching me? ...thanks!
by dane » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm
virtualmike wrote:I tried again right after posting the note above, and it worked. I was in the midst of shutting down the PC.

However, I had double-checked that the PC was disconnected from VPN before I tried to start it on the iPad. Does Sonic.net check to see if a previously-connected device is still online? Or is there some other problem that's catching me? ...thanks!
I believe that the VPN platform will only allow one connection at a time from each username. My guess is that it terminates the oldest connection when a new one is brought up. But, I haven't taken the time just now to validate this, it's just based upon memory.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 am
Understood. However, I made sure to disconnect one device before trying to start VPN on another.

I just tried from home, and it connected very quickly.

Perhaps it was something in the network I was using at the time--I was on Maui at the time (connecting through Oceanic Time Warner), although I could get a connection from my PC with no problem.
by orm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 pm
see:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1070
Basically the problem should be fixed in the next release of iOS 6.
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:58 pm
Thanks, orm. I've been following that thread, too. ...cheers!
by virtualmike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm
I just posted an update in another thread on this topic.
7 posts Page 1 of 1