"Whitelists" and "Blacklists" now renamed to "Welcomelists" and "Blocklists" (same first letter).

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by qm » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am
"Whitelists" and "Blacklists" now renamed to "Welcomelists" and "Blocklists" (same first letter).

Apparently, Sonic has succumbed to corrupt Cancel Culture and changed their naming of well named things from the past into new Politically Correct names that I'm sure will become cancelled within years if not months coming soon, but just so people know, they did change the name of email whitelists and blacklists to "welcomelists" and "blocklists" respectively.

"Blocklists" for now seems like a correct description of what it is meant to do, and while right now I can't conceive of how that name could become unpolitically correct, they could surprise me once again. "Welcomelist", however, is not very obvious; I don't necessarily welcome emails from the whitelisted addresses; many of them I fear receiving, but need to receive nevertheless. I don't expect that name to hold since it simply isn't true, nor is it logical. However, there is one easy way for us to remember "Welcomelist": it has the same first letter as "Whitelist", and this is also true of Blacklists with the Blocklists, both sharing the same first letter. As long as Sonic keeps renaming these politically corrected category names sharing the same first letter, this should be an easy mnemonic to decode their true meaning.

As for me, I welcome the day we can stop this foreign born illogical nonsense and get back to our lives without interference from outside.

P.S., this latest episode is an avalanche of corporate takeovers and policies changing that are interacting to make a very bad few days. I didn't know Amazon Customer Service took a dump some time in the last handful of years. I saw them going downhill many years ago so jumped ship and soon after realized they were a front for outsiders to dump their cheap job-stealing junk on our shores and scrubbed my account clean so they could never do anything but stream me old streaming videos I already bought, but during a recent debacle trying to find a printer without a subscription, we were forced to look outside the local chain store and try online. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I've found I am stuck in a swamp of corporate hell trying to renew all my contacts with old telephone and mailbox companies to update them on all of the new things going on in my life, including apparently incoming phone calls to my home failing starting 2024-01-24t21:07:56.425 Pacific Time due to failing to register incoming calls and on 2024-01-24t21:36:22.570 stopped retrying, something that I overlooked because I don't expect to receive calls here and it's nice not to get spam calls, meaning I didn't get the call for a "one time password" requested by the new Amazon delivery driver that before we ordered we never knew was needed for them to drop off at my UPS Store (formerly Mailboxes, Etc.) private mailbox. Luckily, restarting this was as easy as issuing a command to my phone system to retry, and it all works again. Had I needed to receive more calls and verified this more often, I could have remedied this sooner. Of course, now the phone company I used got bought and migrated their billing after that to a new system with what looks like a new email address, so now I want to whitelist the new billing records email address they have. Chasing all of the declines of all these corporate relationships is getting to be really annoying. The further we get away from depending on local farms and businesses, the worse things get. I should push myself to never use online when I have an alternative, and push that every day all day. Unfortunately, getting a printer without a subscription is one of those interfaces to the new world order that I guess is hard to skip, and we have to fight the fight. Once this thing arrives, though, I look forward to shedding more and more crap that comes from online. Even the printer is paying homage to yet more regulations, internationalisms, and online crap that should be a hint every time I hit print that I'm doing something wrong, yet less wrong to print to paper than to "hope and pray" the online version gets it right.
by joeyyung911 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am
We have activists in every aspect of our lives now. They took over movies, games and now our networks. I guess Sonic has nothing better to do, catering to the 1% who actually gets offended...SMH.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dane » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am
Not sure what the reference to "foreign born illogical nonsense" means, but it lands with me as the same sort of sentiment that makes the elimination of historically racist terms from the technological lexicon so important. This isn't about being "woke", unless that term is interpreted as "being nice to other people". And I'd note that with limited exception, most of us are descended from foreign-born individuals, as America is uniquely a nation of immigrants.

However, for some history and context related specifically to the technology space, terms like "master" and "slave" were historically used, generally for primary and secondary devices in things like hard disk drive systems. You can see examples of this at: https://unplugg3d.wordpress.com/2008/09 ... hard-disk/

But terms like this are charged. To have the primary or controlling hard disk drive in a computer called "the master" and the other drives termed as "slaves" is just unnecessarily insensitive. Slavery was and is a real thing, and I think it is something that we can all agree was and is a bad thing. (Right?) So why should technology adopt a term that clearly has these meanings?

And the same goes for a "black" list. The use of this term is rooted in a racist history which shouldn't be disregarded. For more on the specifics, you might review this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6148600/

So, while some might deny it or disagree with me, I do think that systemic racism is real, and has real impacts on people. And if minor changes to language help move us towards a more equal footing, I think that is positive.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by artakamoose » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:05 pm
Dane, thank you for your eloquent response. This is one of the many, many reasons I love your company.
by jessieandrob » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:47 am
As a person of color and child of immigrants to the US, I fully appreciate what Sonic is doing here.

Thank you Dane.
by cycloscott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 pm
As a older white male working in the tech industry... I have used the terms white/black list, master/slave, etc for years.

I have had zero issues converting to non-charged terminology without getting my undies in a twist.

Good on you Dane.
6 posts Page 1 of 1