94598 pushed back 6 months from Dec to June 2024...

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
22 posts Page 2 of 3
by sdnick484 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:38 pm
dane wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:30 pm The unfortunate answer is that the causes of delays vary widely. We are building the first all-new residential utility infrastructure to be deployed since back when Cable TV was installed. It is a very complex process behind the scenes. And it has become more difficult due to regulatory changes in the last five years, as well as staffing and workload levels at various agencies we interact with.

But I can assure you that a large group of people here are looking at the progress and challenges daily, up to and including myself. I get a daily report with any FDA schedule changes, as well as any reasons for delay. Here are a few examples excerpted from a recent copy of the report that I get each morning, so that you have an idea about the level of scrutiny we place on every project:
FDA 34 / Concord / PM - Brandon P
Project Delays changed from: None
to:

Cannot close Cx apps without needed bypass poles placed. This will impact Go Lives / Met with POCs for the City of Concord. They provided criteria for bypass pole installation approval. Following the steps to receive bypass pole authorization. Will update when the first bypass poles have been approved to be installed.
FDA 45 / Concord / PM - Brandon P
Project Delays changed from: None
to:

Aerial construction stopped until we have bypass pole installation approval from the City of Concord. Go-Lives impacted and delayed as result. / Met with POCs for the City of Concord. They provided criteria for bypass pole installation approval. Following the steps to receive bypass pole authorization. Will update when the first bypass poles have been approved to be installed.

The project management team's goal is to keep the dates which are then displayed in our Member Tools fiber status section as accurate as we can. If they say it is forcast to be done in a month, it could be, at least by us - but if it then gets pushed a month out, and then a month out, and then again - this would be because of a delay generally outside of our control but that based upon the information we have at the time, that we think can be surmounted within a month, but then for reasons generally outside of our control, we cannot and it slips again. This is generally delays related to permits or approvals from cities or agencies. Could be CALTRANS, the City, a water district, Caltrain, Union Pacific, PG&E or SoCal Edison, etc, etc.

Delays can also be caused by weather and by crew availability, by errors in engineering or fieldwork as well as issues like a parts or materials delivery issue, where we think the supplies are all here but then it turns out something was mislabeled or mispackaged or inventory is inaccurate and items must be re-ordered and there is a resulting delay.

-Dane
Hi Dane,

Any chance you can provide another update on Concord (particularly the Dana Estates area)? The tool estimated very quickly moved from Sept to Dec last year, but then stayed at Dec until very late last month (giving me false hope). However it has once again quickly slipped from Jan to Feb. Is there anything we can do as residence to encourage the city?

Thanks,
Nick
by miloseaa » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:17 am
sdnick484 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:38 pm
Hi Dane,

Any chance you can provide another update on Concord (particularly the Dana Estates area)? The tool estimated very quickly moved from Sept to Dec last year, but then stayed at Dec until very late last month (giving me false hope). However it has once again quickly slipped from Jan to Feb. Is there anything we can do as residence to encourage the city?

Thanks,
Nick
Are you still showing Feb.? I am fairly close to you (in the Clayton Valley Highlands area) and had similar slips in my timeline but am now showing Aug. 2024. I believe my 1st estimate was Oct. 2023 after signing up in June 2023. I'd be interest to hear your timeline and most importantly if the Feb estimate is still holding.
by sdnick484 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:25 pm
miloseaa wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:17 am
sdnick484 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:38 pm
Hi Dane,

Thanks,
Nick
Are you still showing Feb.? I am fairly close to you (in the Clayton Valley Highlands area) and had similar slips in my timeline but am now showing Aug. 2024. I believe my 1st estimate was Oct. 2023 after signing up in June 2023. I'd be interest to hear your timeline and most importantly if the Feb estimate is still holding.
I just checked and yes, as of this post, I am still showing Feb 2024. I just checked my email history, and my original order was placed on 2/25/23 so if they hit February, it would have taken a full 12mo. Driving home from work today, I did see a Sonic truck at a residence on Mt. Diablo near the Concord BART so I still have (dwindling) hope.

I also agree with the sentiment expressed earlier in this thread - the communication thus far has been sparse and not a positive experience. I won't recommend Sonic to any of my friends until they can actually use the service or at least have hope of getting it soon. I had always heard such good things about Sonic so this is a bit disappointing. I understand a lot of this is beyond their span of control, but I think recruiting customers a year in advance is doing themselves a disservice.
by rpineau » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:09 pm
I pre-ordered the 10G fiber on 6/16/2022
I got a "forecasted fiber live date" of December 2023 around January 2023.
I saw Sonic truck installing the fiber on the pole outside my house end of October 2023 (was still showing "forecasted fiber live date December 2023")
Late November that date changed to ... June 2024 ...
So seeing the Sonic truck installing fiber outside your house does NOT equal "fiber available soon" ...
As said above, no communication as to why suddenly it's being pushed by 6 month (specially after seeing the Sonic team installing fiber outside my house !! )
I know these depends on a lot of things but this is becoming a general pattern and a fairly unpleasant one, specially without any communication. The status page is fairly useless if every time we're getting close to the date it gets 6 month delay added...

In my case I was waiting for the date to be close to buy 10G equipment (router and switches), so I made an investment ... but could have waited 6 month (and potentially saved money).
Sonic, this is not a great way to attract customers...
by sdnick484 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:15 pm
rpineau wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:09 pm I pre-ordered the 10G fiber on 6/16/2022
I got a "forecasted fiber live date" of December 2023 around January 2023.
I saw Sonic truck installing the fiber on the pole outside my house end of October 2023 (was still showing "forecasted fiber live date December 2023")
Late November that date changed to ... June 2024 ...
So seeing the Sonic truck installing fiber outside your house does NOT equal "fiber available soon" ...
As said above, no communication as to why suddenly it's being pushed by 6 month (specially after seeing the Sonic team installing fiber outside my house !! )
I know these depends on a lot of things but this is becoming a general pattern and a fairly unpleasant one, specially without any communication. The status page is fairly useless if every time we're getting close to the date it gets 6 month delay added...

In my case I was waiting for the date to be close to buy 10G equipment (router and switches), so I made an investment ... but could have waited 6 month (and potentially saved money).
Sonic, this is not a great way to attract customers...
Yep, definitely a bad customer experience, especially for new customers, only to be made worst by constantly seeing advertisements for their service in my area on social media and being asked to refer friends. My service is now showing March, but honestly I have little faith that will be hit. Crazy that you might be in pre-order status for for two years.
by drbubbles » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:54 pm
Any update on the bypass poles needed to keep this schedule? (Half way through the six month estimate from December, so hoping there's been some action by the city to get this done). Thanks.
by drbubbles » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 pm
Did the permitting and/or bypass poles get sorted out for this area in 94598 (towards north end of Bancroft)?

The area is in "construction" rather than "pre-construction", so I'm hoping that means less uncertainty about the expected date; has there been any progress with the city since the December date went to June?
by sheilaf_182 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:13 am
Hmm. I signed up in late February this year for Sonic in the 94598 area code as the live date was showing March 2024. It's since moved to May 2024- but, you're seeing June? (This tool is a bit more frustrating than helpful, unfortunately)
by drbubbles » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:11 pm
A two month slip is maybe encouraging, if it wasn't clear when permits or bypass poles would be ready, then it would likely have slipped more than two months I expect. 94598 covers quite a large area so our different dates are likely due to parallel expansion projects facing different delays. I imagine there's a small set of reasons for delays: permits, bypass poles,... and they crop up at different stages in different areas.

Now we are half way through the six month that were added to my estimate, it would be good to know if the reason for that delay has been resolved, so now it's just a matter of getting it done (I hope this is it!), or are the city or other utilities obstructing progress (I really hope this isn't it!)
by jerrielm » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 am
@drbubbles - We are looking at June / July timeframe. There are no current delays so its just finishing the work for now
@sheilaf_182 - May is the timeframe we are predicting. Im not seeing any current delays here as well.
@sdnick484 - Several Delays here but it looks like May is our goal right now.
@rpineau - End of may as well. No current delays.

Here is some information i was able to get.
22 posts Page 2 of 3