Questions about upcoming Google DMARC/DKIM requirement

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
52 posts Page 5 of 6
by kgc » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:55 pm
dhwalker wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:43 pm Nevertheless, I think it's clear that you, representing Sonic, don't want to deal with how I've had mail delivery for the past several years (most of which with Sonic), so I'll read up on EasyDNS's POP/IMAP service and Sonic's support for non-Sonic DNS domains and decide which way to move.
It's not really a question of dealing with it one way or another, it's just that I'd like you and any other customer in a similar situation to be setup in a reliable way that you can expect to work indefinitely without needing any special setup.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:16 pm
I just noticed that one of my subdomains does not have DKIM signing. I sent an email to Support with full details, and received an email response directing me to ask in the forum.

What's the best way to provide the details without revealing personal information? ...thanks!
by kgc » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:15 am
virtualmike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:16 pm I just noticed that one of my subdomains does not have DKIM signing. I sent an email to Support with full details, and received an email response directing me to ask in the forum.
Opening an email ticket with support, but this is an unusual request. What's the ticket number from your earlier attempt?
Kelsey Cummings
by virtualmike » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:08 pm
kgc wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:15 amWhat's the ticket number from your earlier attempt?
Sent by PM. ...thanks!
by virtualmike » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:48 pm
Thanks to Kelsey, this issue has been resolved. Emails from my subdomain now are getting DKIM signatures.
by evan27hello » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:37 pm
*Deleted for privacy.*
by kgc » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:13 pm
While you could theoretically paste the public in I would not recommend that approach. The better option is to add a CNAME to the sonic.net key which is what we do for all of the domains we're authoritative for.

net23._domainkey.YOUR_DOMAIN.TLD. CNAME net23._domainkey.sonic.net.

Once that's done, please send a ticket to support@sonic.net with a request to update our local config to allow our servers to sign mail on your behalf. Be sure to include that I instructed you to do this and that the ticket should be routed to ops. This is an unusual request.
Kelsey Cummings
by evan27hello » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:48 pm
*Deleted for privacy.*
by virtualmike » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:03 pm
Replace YOUR_DOMAIN.TLD with the domain used for the emails you send.

For example, if your domain is foobar.com, the hostname would be net23._domainkey.foobar.com

You are correct for the value.
by evan27hello » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:21 pm
Ok thanks, I am going to be deleting my comments for privacy reasons, other than to ask if the following is relevant to your recommendation or not? I would prefer not to get shut down or blacklisted for doing this incorrectly (if that's even a thing?). I have no frame of reference to understand what this RFC org is or how they govern the inner workings of the net, etc.

A DKIM record is really a DNS TXT ("text") record. TXT records can be used to store any text that a domain administrator wants to associate with their domain. DKIM is one of many uses for this type of DNS record. (In some cases, domains have stored their DKIM records as CNAME records that point to the key instead; however, the official RFC requires these records to be TXT.)

Source Link: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns ... im-record/

Thanks!
52 posts Page 5 of 6