Hayward Fiber Availability

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
43 posts Page 4 of 5
by dane » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:14 am
dane wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:22 pm
secretbetta wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:32 pm Same, spoke too soon :( April as well. The delays keep coming unfortunately. Is it because of the storm?
No, as I understand it you the primary cause of delays there has been the City’s new permitting policies. When Sonic arrived they enacted a lot of new restrictions, processes and costs that did not apply when AT&T and Comcast were the only providers there.
Sorry, to clarify, my comments about process above relate to Richmond, not Hayward.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by david6618 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:11 am
I saw a lot of Sonic trucks daily in the area near my home, it's Sonic fiber-ready in Hayward, CA.
by ghalog » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:04 am
david6618 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:11 am I saw a lot of Sonic trucks daily in the area near my home, it's Sonic fiber-ready in Hayward, CA.
Which neighborhood?
by ghalog » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:53 am
ghalog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:23 pm Welp spoke too soon. It’s now April 2024 for my neighborhood. Sucks
Bummer now it’s been updated to May. I already tripped for a year with Comcast. I feel at this point the go live date will be pushed back another month or two in my neighborhood
by secretbetta » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 pm
Man, I want to be as patient as possible, but I do feel frustrated by the constant pushbacks. :(
by smbrannon » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:44 pm
secretbetta wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 pm Man, I want to be as patient as possible, but I do feel frustrated by the constant pushbacks. :(
At least you guys have supposed dates. My "status update" page for my address in Castro Valley has never shown a date. It finally moved from "Planning" to "Pre-Construction" around June 2023 as I recall. It still shows "Pre-Construction," even though the optical splitter was installed across the street from my house a couple of weeks ago, as well as Phase 3 trucks dragging fibre and guy wires around various spots in Castro Valley for months. I understand delays, but having the status page frozen for 10 month when there has been an obvious change to the "Construction" phase, and after emailing a construction coordinator for Sonic wondering about the lack of an update of the status for my address, is really disappointing. :(
by poneil4234 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:01 pm
Castro Valley, hayward side of 238.... Could save $30/mo to sign up another year with comcast...I wish I would have done it 6 mo ago, if we only knew....What gives Sonic?? Still "pre construction" AFTER they took my credit card info
by smbrannon » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 am
Yeah, the availability page is very misleading, if not outright false, and I feel a mistake on Sonic's part. I guess zero is one value along the number line "up to 10 Gigabits." This isn't a good look or first impression. Based on what I know of Sonic's reputation, I'm surprised by this marketing scheme. Between it and the postcard, it definitely convinced me that fibre was available at my address, only to find out after signing up that my address was only in the "Planning" phase.

Availability Page.jpg
Availability Page.jpg (665.26 KiB) Viewed 415 times
by oddhack » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:09 pm
smbrannon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 am Yeah, the availability page is very misleading, if not outright false, and I feel a mistake on Sonic's part.
I moved to AT&T from Comcast as a transitional provider. Whenever Sonic has *actually run fiber* in my neighborhood I'll look at switching, but having watched the years-long process (sometimes approaching decade-long) that other customers have reported on, there was no upside in pre-ordering. Though I do have quite a stack of Sonic postcards now advertising the imminent availability of fiber.

AT&T has been fine for me since December, and done away with most of their objectionable policies as well. The installer was very accommodating, though that may have been more a matter of luck than of policy. I'd love to be back on Sonic - if only it existed here.
by smbrannon » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm
oddhack wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:09 pm

I moved to AT&T from Comcast as a transitional provider.

<SNIP>
I have AT&T ADSL as that is all that is available on my block. I despise Comcast even more than AT&T, and am willing to suffer slower service to avoid giving Comcast any money.

I live in the flats of Castro Valley. From what I've seen, outside of new construction, the only AT&T fibre available here is along the routes AT&T took to reach schools with the fibre they ran with Federal money to upgrade school connectivity a few years back. Folks behind me can get AT&T fibre, but not me. This has been AT&T's attitude with respect to upgrading infrastructure for the last two decades. The last time they put any money into infrastructure it was the deployment of FTTN in a laughable attempt to compete with Comcast. The CPUC needs to mandate investment to have continued access to right-of-ways, poles, etc. This seems about the only way to force these big companies to invest in infrastructure outside of true competition like hopefully we'll see from Sonic.net's fibre deployment in this area.

Hopefully Sonic will soon get around to activating the fibre they have installed on my block. At least now that the splitter has been installed, i have the hope that it'll be weeks, rather than months.
43 posts Page 4 of 5