Sonic Gigabit Fiber in Richmond CA 94805 area?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
35 posts Page 4 of 4
by fobkai99 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:13 am
Update, there was a permit delay by the city so they had to reschedule my install. Line drop is today, install tomorrow 01/05.
by fobkai99 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:20 pm
I wasn't home for the install (my parents were) so I can't really comment on the process, but they arrived at 9am and didn't leave until just before 4pm. I'll have to sort things out with the new setup when I get home. Hopefully others have a easier install...
by knewman » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:29 pm
fobkai99 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:20 pm I wasn't home for the install (my parents were) so I can't really comment on the process, but they arrived at 9am and didn't leave until just before 4pm. I'll have to sort things out with the new setup when I get home. Hopefully others have a easier install...
Oh yikes, that's a long time. I made arrangements to be home during my appointment tomorrow, but less than 24h before the appt, it was moved to later in the week because permits haven't yet been secured. Still haven't had a line drop. I really hope that mine doesn't take 7 hours, but if all installations take that long, it could explain the very slow rollout.
by knewman » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:54 pm
Very happy with my installation experience here in 94805. It took many many months, and the first installation date got moved by a few days later, but installer Miles was here when he said he'd be, had a better idea than mine about hiding the fiber along the eaves of the house, and was quick and courteous.

I chose not to rent the Eero routers, but to instead keep my 5yo Orbi system. I am getting 900somethingMbps over ethernet through the router, which is such an improvement over my previous IPS, especially in upload capacity. I can now back things up to iCloud Drive or Google Drive as if they were a USB hard drive. Unreal.

Of course, in the middle of enjoying my first day with real internet, PG&E killed the electricity to the block for most of the day. I'm very happy with "only" 1Gbps but I think a UPS is the next networking purchase, especially as both Verizon and T-Mobile coverage has become mostly non-existent in 94805 in the last couple of years.

I really do think Sonic should communicate better about installation dates - people who've signed up should at least get an email when their availability gets pushed back a month. Other than that, I'm really happy with the service so far and optimistic that my neighbors will be able to sign up soon as well.
by jhattersley » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:06 pm
Good news for those of us up in the hills: some folks from CableCom (who I chatted with and were working on Sonic's behalf) were outside today stringing up new fiber. This was around the intersection of Kensington and Olive, just off Arlington across from Arlington Market. Not sure how long it'll be from neighborhood wiring to finished install, but exciting progress.
35 posts Page 4 of 4