[Request] Static IP addresses for 10G customers

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by kgc » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:49 pm
I have more than a passing familiarity with CARP, VRRP and HSRP which, as you might expect, are used extensively throughout our network to provide various levels of redundancy for switches, firewalls and routers.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by majortom » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:55 am
kgc wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:49 pm I have more than a passing familiarity with CARP, VRRP and HSRP which, as you might expect, are used extensively throughout our network to provide various levels of redundancy for switches, firewalls and routers.
@kgc Great, than what solution can you offer for someone who wants redundancy and does not have static IP?
by kgc » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:29 pm
majortom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:55 am
kgc wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:49 pm I have more than a passing familiarity with CARP, VRRP and HSRP which, as you might expect, are used extensively throughout our network to provide various levels of redundancy for switches, firewalls and routers.
@kgc Great, than what solution can you offer for someone who wants redundancy and does not have static IP?
Per my previous question, can you explain what you're trying to do beyond just "redundancy"?

But I assume that you're trying to achieve an active/standby setup with state syncing between the nodes so sessions aren't reset if there is an event. Here are two threads which seem to be addressing how you do this within the constraints of pfsense. It looks like this lacks something to monitor WAN status which could be as simple as a bash script that starts on the master which drops the interface if it the WAN is down so carp triggers a take over on the standby host.

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=20972.0
https://old.reddit.com/r/opnsense/comme ... _internet/
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by msandrof » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:29 pm
crbowman wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:28 pm I know you've responded but I'd like to formally add my request for static IPs. I understand the bandwidth concern. But I'd really like to host a few of my own services (mail web etc) which will never become a bandwidth hog. This is the only reason I have ATT even though they are slower and more expensive.
Christopher
This can all be done with DDNS. When I switched to fiber from my old static IP dsl fusion connection I converted to DDNS and have never had any problems.
14 posts Page 2 of 2