Best/Any Way To Track Estimated Availability (San Rafael Specifically)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by sfrooster » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:37 pm
The subject says it all - is there one?
by syntaxsid1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 am
Hello. Unfortunately, we encounter unforeseen delays and complications during our construction phase that are out of Sonic's direct control. This prevents us from providing accurate estimates of when we'll be ready for installs in a given area. Rest assured we are working on this as fast as we can and will notify you the moment this is ready for your area. Thank you for your continued patience while we expand.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:17 am
sfrooster wrote:The subject says it all - is there one?
Yes, you can find the current estimated completion date in the Fiber Status section of the Member Tools at https://members.sonic.net/.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sfrooster » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:56 am
But not really, right? Because each month I check and I'm told that my service is scheduled/estimated for next month. And so I login the following month and now it's scheduled/estimated for the next month. And this happens month after month. It's ok if you're unsure and the more accurate answer is "construction is complicated with multiple pieces having to come together and we don't control all those pieces as much as we'd like, but we are reasonably confident the pieces for your location will come together no later than (indicate a month three months away) and possibly sooner. We'll provide more specific dates as the various components come together".
by sfrooster » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:31 am
syntaxsid1 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 am Hello. Unfortunately, we encounter unforeseen delays and complications during our construction phase that are out of Sonic's direct control. This prevents us from providing accurate estimates of when we'll be ready for installs in a given area. Rest assured we are working on this as fast as we can and will notify you the moment this is ready for your area. Thank you for your continued patience while we expand.
Referring to my replay further down and as someone who spent 14 years of their career in telecom including the data side of the business, trust me, I know the complications of a build-out like this, especially when you're relying on vendors and subcontractors to make their dates, the weather, etc.

All I'm suggesting is that you be honest with yourselves and in turn us, about the realistic time frames. I don't doubt you're working hard but the truth is humans are consistently overly optimistic when estimating. We all almost never get it right and were always wrong on the disappointing side.

You're likely concerned that if customers knew everything that needs to come together and the real time frames they won't sign-up. But they've waited their entire life until now so three months isn't that rough, especially if you're prepared for three months.

You're not putting a man on Mars by which I mean this has been done before, many times. And you know the areas that might cause problems and you also know what the likely size of that problem will be if it occurs. My point being it is not so hard to give a time frame you're 85% confident can be met. It might come together sooner which won't bother anyone, and 15-20% of the time something will occur that pushes you late - but usually not by much which means the customer was fine for three months, and now they are a little disappointed but it's mixed with the excitement of having a firm but slightly overdue date.
You have your reasons for operating this way but honestly if you're not going to operate more in line with my suggestions then you should just remove that tool until it's useful for more than pretend.
5 posts Page 1 of 1