Fiber ONT location

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by eebostrom » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:28 am
Our utility room is central to the house, and where all of my network equipment is located. It is a straight shot through the attic and down the wall. Will Sonic be able to install fiber ONT equipment at this location? There is no convenient interior wall like I've seen them use on my neighbor's Sonic fiber installs, particularly on the side of the house where our telephone MPOE exists.

Also acceptable is ONT mounted on the exterior of the house, and I'll run ethernet or fiber to my edge.
by dane » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:24 pm
Our team will work with you to deploy in the ideal location, within reason. If they must climb in an attic without walkways, or fish walls, that’ll generally be out. In those cases, you could pre-position singlemode fiber with a female SC-APC connector or a connector in a jack plate or box between the two points that we could connect our jumper cables to.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by eebostrom » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:19 am
Hi Dane, thanks for the response.

This weekend I pre-drilled from below the house, and from the attic, and I can fish from whichever direction quickly on install day, so we can site the little white termination box and ONT in the internal room. From reading other forum posts it sounds like the installers are flexible with custom locations (as long as they don't have to fish) within reason as you say.

Thanks, very excited!
by dane » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:58 am
Sounds good! Enjoy the new fiber service.

And please, tell all of your neighbors about it. Your referrals are essential to us.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:11 pm
Maybe the installer could work with a conduit you installed prior to install date?
That would also protect the fiber.
by eebostrom » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:53 pm
Thanks Dane, pre-running fiber worked great!

Techs installed ONT and their external termination box, using my run to jump between the two and light passed np. Unfortunately, it was a 'same day' connect order and no bucket crews available, so we did everything we could without actually being able to connect from the pole to the house. They said it happens a lot and both bucket crew and installers will be back tomorrow to finish it up.

Have you played with any of the XGPON ONT SPF modules yet? Certainly, will refer neighbors but I think I'm the last to sign up!
6 posts Page 1 of 1