VPN

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1

VPN

by gourn3 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:48 pm
VPN service works great for the most part, until I get stuck with 209.204.163.12 IP address. For some reason, whenever it ends with .12, I get disconnected from VPN service within a few seconds from connecting, or within 2 minutes. Says Reason 425: Manually disconnected by administrator. Any idea why this particular IP slot has problems or why it's not usuable? Is there some way to bypass this particular IP address then? Kinda sucks to have to wait for somebody to occupy that slot before receiving a different one.
by orm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 pm
I talked to sonic today about randomly getting disconnected and, basically, they said it might be my problem. I've had it happen on two different Macs running 10.7 and 10.8. Then longest I've gone is a matter of ~4 hours i think and then it's disconnected me. But usually it's less than an hour before I'm pushed off. I haven't taken careful note of which IP addresses are doing this to me. I've never had any message show up. Also, there's not supposed to be any activity algorithm for keeping you on or off.
by dane » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:35 pm
Regarding that .12 IP, we've seen in our logs lots of folks over the ages who have been allocated that IP and stayed connected until they requested disconnect. I suspect coincidence there.

On disconnections, do you have any other devices that might be initiating a connection using your credentials? I believe that the VPN will only allow one connection at a time per login.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by orm » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm
I'm not sure, but I've been connected for almost 8 hours just now. I tried connecting with my iPhone4 (6.0.1) and it worked fine; if I was also connected with my computer it eventually kicked itself off. It didn't kick my computer off running Mac OS 10.8. I connected several times to test the behavior. Currently connected to the .14 address.

Regarding bypassing the IP address:
you could purchase a Static VPN IP address from sonic for $5/m that would come with its own login credentials, I believe.
by gourn3 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 pm
dane wrote:Regarding that .12 IP, we've seen in our logs lots of folks over the ages who have been allocated that IP and stayed connected until they requested disconnect. I suspect coincidence there.

On disconnections, do you have any other devices that might be initiating a connection using your credentials? I believe that the VPN will only allow one connection at a time per login.
No, I'm the only one that uses VPN in the house. As for the disconnects from VPN, I've also gotten a Reason 425 disconnect with the .5 IP address; although I rarely ever get that slot (or any slot lower than .5 for that matter).
by dane » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm
I haven't looked up the reason code, so I don't know what that one indicates. Clearly, the IP you are allocated should make no difference at all, and any correlation there is likely simply a coincidence.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1