Got Fiber 10G But Not Thrilled About Speed.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
18 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:48 pm
Sonic offers our own 10Gbps router solution now. You can find that hardware offered in the member tools, log in from our home page.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by latreche34 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:07 pm
I was asking about a 3rd party one, As I said before, I don't want to pay rental fees for the rest of my life.
by latreche34 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:46 pm
I just headed down to BestBuy and bought the TP-Link Archer BE19000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 router, Not only it fixed all my previous Asus router issues but I was able to almost double my speed just on the 2.4/5GHz band.

Out of curiosity, It does have two 10GB ports for modem connection and one for fiber connection labeled SFP, For the fiber one it says it needs a fiber module, Does the fiber module improve the connectivity? If so, where can I get one?
by ngufra » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:22 am
You would use a fiber SFP+ module if you wanted to connect something with fiber.
For example if you needed longer that 100 m.
Note that on your device you can use only port 1 or 2 at a time, you cannot use both at the same time.
You cannot use the SFP+ port to connect directly to sonic fiber. you must use the loaned ONT and connect through it.
by dane » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:40 am
Because that router includes a copper 10Gbps port, and Sonic's output is a copper 10Gbps port, you wouldn't need to use the adjacent SFP cage. The only case where I can imagine it might be useful is if for example the Sonic ONT was at the other end of a large home, and you wanted to run a fiber jumper between the ONT and the router. You'd use a media converter to go from copper to fiber at the ONT, then fiber into the router. But no upside, just a way to extend reach beyond what's possible at 10Gbps with a copper cable.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 pm
The SFP+ port can be used for WAN or LAN, so other use case is use the port 3 (10 GBps RJ45) to connect to the ONT and use port 2 (SFP+ as a LAN port to connect to ADU at the end of garden.
by dane » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 pm
ngufra wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:10 pm The SFP+ port can be used for WAN or LAN, so other use case is use the port 3 (10 GBps RJ45) to connect to the ONT and use port 2 (SFP+ as a LAN port to connect to ADU at the end of garden.
Yup, that'd be another good use, if it can be used on the LAN side. And good example application, running fiber to a remote building.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by latreche34 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:37 am
Okay cool, thank you guys for this useful information.
18 posts Page 2 of 2