"No service available" messages where there used to be service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by rrichard » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:04 pm
I currently have Fusion Broadband X2, capped at about 8 Mbps. I am apparently a long way from my telco's CO -- my guess is 4,000 feet or more.

(1) Checking upgrade availability at my own address used to show that I could get FTTN but at substantially less than 1 gigabit. Now it shows "no service available" at all, neither copper nor fiber. Why is FTTN no longer available to me?

(1) Has Sonic stopped offering copper wire service to new customers? Checking availability for other addresses on my street results in the same "no service available" message.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if the answers are in emails that I neglected to open when they arrived.

--Bob Richard
by rrichard » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:48 pm
UPDATE: I'm getting the "We're Sorry, No Service is Available - Yet!" message at many addresses throughout Marin County.
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:31 pm
The FTTN service was offered through a partnership with AT&T, but that has ended, so no new connections can be ordered through it.
by rrichard » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm
virtualmike wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:31 pm The FTTN service was offered through a partnership with AT&T, but that has ended, so no new connections can be ordered through it.
Thanks. Does that mean that unless FTTH becomes available someday, my neighbors can't sign up for Sonic service?
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:45 pm
Yes, until Sonic has built its fiber network into your neighborhood, your neighbors won't be able to sign up. Actually, until Sonic has planned its build-out--Sonic usually takes pre-orders.
by rrichard » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:53 pm
virtualmike wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:45 pm Yes, until Sonic has built its fiber network into your neighborhood, your neighbors won't be able to sign up. Actually, until Sonic has planned its build-out--Sonic usually takes pre-orders.
Thanks again. I have been completely oblivious to these developments. Is it safe to assume that existing Sonic customers are grandfathered for as long as they continue to pay their monthly Sonic bills?
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:45 pm
From the comments elsewhere in the forum, it appears that someone who already had service is grandfathered, but cannot change their service unless Sonic Fiber is now available for their address.
7 posts Page 1 of 1