Unable to connect to the Sonic server to update my legacy web page.

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by pjkelly » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:14 pm
Sonic has allowed me to have a simple web site on sonic. Web Sites/ Domain, Hosting,
Thank you, Sonic, for hosting my page.
I had not updated the page in a year or two and I needed to log on to the server to update my pages. Unfortunately, I had forgotten how to log on to my site using ftp.

Knowing the correct details to put into the FTP app were essential.
I had always used the free app called FileZilla Client, but I could not log on to the Sonic directory that held my pages. After a couple of phone calls to support, with no success they opened a trouble ticket for my problem.

After three days of working on it and after three email exchanges, the two most helpful suggestion were:
1. Search and read these Community Help pages and...
2. Read the Sonic help web page of:
https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... ishing-FAQ

On the fourth day I finally got it all to work, and I am hoping that the remainder of this post may help some other person like me, who knows far too little about computers.

There are two FTP apps readily available to all, and I will show you what worked for me on each one. You are hereby advised you that I am not a computer expert, and I take no responsibility if you damage your system or create problems by trying to repeat any of my suggestions on this page.

An important aspect of using the FTP apps is that you must adjust your firewall to allow the server at sonic to communicate with your computer. For Windows users I followed these steps:
Control Panel/ System and Security/ Windows Defender Firewall/ Left column - "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall"/ check the "Change setting"/ and "Allow another app..", that is, if you don't see your preferred FTP app (either FileZilla and or WinSCP) already listed and checked.

---------------------------------------------
Using the FileZilla Client app:
Click on File/ Site Manager/ New site.

Protocol = FTP - File Transfer Protocol
Host = ftp.sonic.net
Port = 21
Encryption = select: Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Logon Type = Normal
User = my name
Password = my password

Then click connect.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
--------------------------------------------------

Using the WinSCP app:
On top row, click Tabs, roll down to new Tab, then roll over to Remote Tab and fill out the session particulars:

File Protocol= FTP
Encryption = No encryption
Host name = ftp.sonic.net
Port number = 21
Username = my username (without the "@sonic.net")
Password = my password
(save the logon and give it a name)
------------------------------------------------------

End
1 post Page 1 of 1