Trying to isilate a subnet from the rest of the LAN

General discussions and other topics.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by nhschroder » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:56 pm
I have a smart switch from FS. It appears to have died. FS would like to examine it via Teamviewer. They are a Chinese company. I would like to isolate this session from the rest of our network. My current plan is to hook a computer and the switch to a dumb switch to create a sublan. I will disable wifi and bluetooth. My question is how to configure and connect to the modem. We have Sonic fiber. The modem is a BGW210-700.

Thanks for any help.

Best,
Norma
by js9erfan » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:42 am
Hmm, if I was that worried about it I would physically disconnect all other LAN devices from the network/router except the device you're running teamviewer on and the FS switch. I would also run teamviewer on a device that doesn't contain important/sensitive data. Then again if it was me, I wouldn't worry about FS too much 8-)

If you want to harden your network, use a capable router and switch where you can create untrusted vlans that are isolated from the rest of the network/devices where devices in that vlan don't have access to your management interfaces and trusted networks (router, switches, APs, NAS, etc.). This way you reduce the chance that a compromised device in that untrusted vlan can cause havoc on the rest of your network/trusted devices. This is common practice for things like iot devices that are frequently compromised.
by nhschroder » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:16 pm
That’s pretty much the solution I settled on. Disconnect everything. Curious: why should I trust fs? The switch was shipped from Wuhan …

The whole vLAN thing is why I got the FS switch. We have several QNAP NAS units. QNAP is not known for security. I plan to put them on a vlan isolated from the internet. If the units cry about losing contact with the mothership, I can live with thatv
by js9erfan » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:03 pm
nhschroder wrote: That’s pretty much the solution I settled on. Disconnect everything. Curious: why should I trust fs? The switch was shipped from Wuhan …
Never said you should trust them, that was my own opinion based on past experience with them. There’s a lot of Chinese companies I don’t trust but FS isn’t one. That said if I didn’t trust them, I sure wouldn’t be using their equipment to support my network.
by nhschroder » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:11 pm
LOL, very good points. I'll be more relaxed having read this.
5 posts Page 1 of 1