Possible to force IP change?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by asimpsonlando » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:10 am
Hello,
I would like to force my IP address to change (only once, not regularly).
Is it something I can force some way?
Thanks
Axel
by dane » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:55 am
No, afraid not.

Also, why?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gatsbylee » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:06 am
asimpsonlando wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:10 am Hello,
I would like to force my IP address to change (only once, not regularly).
Is it something I can force some way?
Thanks
Axel

Recently, I've worked on switching my WAN ports on UDM SE.
Because I didn't see the IP change for a long time, I thought the IP almost never changes ( I guessed that the Sonic's DHCP server remember the MAC address of the NIC )
However, yesterday when I disconnected the cable from ONT to UDM SE for a long time and re-connected it, I noticed that the IP was changed something new. ( In the meantimes, the ONT was up and served the different WAN port during the experiment I did in the below link )
( https://medium.com/@life-is-short-so-en ... a97e868384 )

Since the CEO of the Sonic said "NO", the answer is probably "NO".
Buy, why don't you try to disconnect it for a long time ( a few hours ) and connect it again?

Gatsby
by dane » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:16 am
Yes, sometimes disconnecting equipment for some time will cause an IP change. Also a change of router (new MAC address) can do this. But there's no simple way to force the change or assure that it will change, because the lease is intended to be as persistent as possible.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gatsbylee » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:40 am
dane wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:16 am Yes, sometimes disconnecting equipment for some time will cause an IP change. Also a change of router (new MAC address) can do this. But there's no simple way to force the change or assure that it will change, because the lease is intended to be as persistent as possible.
Thank you for your comment ( always )
Gatsby
5 posts Page 1 of 1