"Problem with Internet" SMS from Sonic

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by sihde » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:06 pm
I received an SMS today from 43687 that read:
Hi, it's Sonic. We noticed a problem with your internet service at <MY CORRECT ADDRESS> starting at 12:16 PM. Our techs are working to restore service ASAP. Reply STOP to opt-out of outage notifications.
But there was no outage that I could see, everything seemed fine. There was no followup. Everything is still working fine. Anybody else see anything like this?
by spencernash » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:04 pm
I got one yesterday with a follow up 4 minutes later that it was resolved. I wasn't home so I can't say if there was an outage or the monitoring system is just a little aggressive on declaring an outage.
by js9erfan » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:22 am
Haven't seen any alerts but they are monitoring connections obviously.

Code: Select all

2023-12-06 05:57:37.139770-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:57:27.064761-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:57:17.023446-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:57:06.981112-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:56:56.787124-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:56:47.691054-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:56:37.524328-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:56:27.507785-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:56:17.390919-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:56:07.276958-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
2023-12-06 05:55:57.244315-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
by brandonc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:37 am
sihde wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:06 pm I received an SMS today from 43687 that read:
Hi, it's Sonic. We noticed a problem with your internet service at <MY CORRECT ADDRESS> starting at 12:16 PM. Our techs are working to restore service ASAP. Reply STOP to opt-out of outage notifications.
But there was no outage that I could see, everything seemed fine. There was no followup. Everything is still working fine. Anybody else see anything like this?
Hi there,

I apologize for the confusion regarding that message. We do have an automated system that tracks when our Fiber modem's (ONT) lose signal, so that we can be on top of outage communications on our network. In this case, it looks like the system had noticed a few ONT's went down in your area, but upon our team investigating the issue, it seemed to be a false flag and everyone in that area was online with no sign of any drops.

Apologies that there wasn't any follow-up here, that's something we do and will continue to improve on.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by kgc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm
js9erfan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:22 am Haven't seen any alerts but they are monitoring connections obviously.

Code: Select all

2023-12-06 05:57:37.139770-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
Active ICMP monitoring like this is something that we only recently started to play with. Initial testing has shown it's viable (practical at scale) and we're working on a production deployment now.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by js9erfan » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:01 am
kgc wrote:
js9erfan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:22 am Haven't seen any alerts but they are monitoring connections obviously.

Code: Select all

2023-12-06 05:57:37.139770-08:00	  69.12.210.169	  23.93.25.x	ICMP
	a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net	23-93-25-x.fiber.dynamic.sonic.net	
Active ICMP monitoring like this is something that we only recently started to play with. Initial testing has shown it's viable (practical at scale) and we're working on a production deployment now.
Makes sense. I only noticed it due to the frequency in the logs.
by ds_sonic_asif » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:14 am
kgc wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm Active ICMP monitoring like this is something that we only recently started to play with. Initial testing has shown it's viable (practical at scale) and we're working on a production deployment now.
I disabled ICMP shortly after seeing that my installation was stable (4 years ago). Should I turn it back on?
by kgc » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:09 am
ds_sonic_asif wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:14 am
kgc wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm Active ICMP monitoring like this is something that we only recently started to play with. Initial testing has shown it's viable (practical at scale) and we're working on a production deployment now.
I disabled ICMP shortly after seeing that my installation was stable (4 years ago). Should I turn it back on?
That's up to you but I personally don't really see much issue with allowing icmp echo in the first place.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by ds_sonic_asif » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:20 pm
kgc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:09 am
ds_sonic_asif wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:14 am
kgc wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm Active ICMP monitoring like this is something that we only recently started to play with. Initial testing has shown it's viable (practical at scale) and we're working on a production deployment now.
I disabled ICMP shortly after seeing that my installation was stable (4 years ago). Should I turn it back on?
That's up to you but I personally don't really see much issue with allowing icmp echo in the first place.
Agreed. It's a carry-over habit from the past when I needed to keep an ssh port open and tired of script kiddies endlessly banging on it. These days I don't leave anything open and use ZeroTier for remote access.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 999 on Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 am

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests