ETA for Alameda fiber service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
20 posts Page 2 of 2
by bubba198 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:48 am
I've been running servers on 22, 80, 443 for 7 years now and Sonic has never blocked these? The only known block is 25 and that's more than understandable and I actually agree with such policy!
by jnurthen » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:17 pm
Any updates on Alameda service? According to the status page it is pre-construction but I've seen crews stringing fiber on multiple streets when I've been walking the dog the last few weeks
by bubba198 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:31 am
I can confirm that as of Tuesday 8-22-2023 contractors for Sonic are pulling fiber on poles in Alameda; the "request fiber" page still shows as if there's no service but I am hoping that could change soon. Clearly construction is under way! Good work Sonic; the home density of Alameda is just as in the sunset almost a decade ago - mostly aerial runs and all high home density!
by klanderson1547 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:25 am
Any update Sonic? There is speculation that fiber is currently being constructed, but I would think the status would have been updated if that were true
by jnurthen » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:44 am
I saw a sonic crew on Broadway today
by richardliang » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:35 pm
Honestly don't expect their fiber to be completed anytime soon. I've been on pre-order (also from east bay) and construction phase for about a year now and they continue to delay and push back their "estimated live date" every month. They don't provide estimates nor are they able to give you any status updates. It's incredibly frustrating.
by joeyyung911 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:17 pm
richardliang wrote:It's incredibly frustrating.
So is being a small ISP, going through all the red tape.

Your best knowledge of the up-date, you don't meet them and customers get "frustrated". You don't tell your customers when it'll be up, customers get "frustrated". IOW, they're **cked either way.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by tarzxf » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:16 pm
joeyyung911 wrote:
richardliang wrote:It's incredibly frustrating.
So is being a small ISP, going through all the red tape.

Your best knowledge of the up-date, you don't meet them and customers get "frustrated". You don't tell your customers when it'll be up, customers get "frustrated". IOW, they're **cked either way.
Anecdotally, I talked to the crew stringing fiber on my street in Downtown San Jose late last year, and got one of the first service appointments last week. I pre-ordered service mid-December 2021. The speed is in the internet service, not the construction.
by radeyes » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:25 am
Just chiming in that I'm also eagerly awaiting Alameda Fiber service on the East End. I'm in an unfortunate situation where I currently am on an old 50 Mbps up/down resold AT&T Fiber plan and Sonic cannot offer me anything better until their fiber is available on my street. Trying to wait and stay /w Sonic, but at some point, I gotta just bite the bullet and jump ship to get a faster connection.
by bubba198 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:38 pm
I would like to share with you that today 11/17/2023 at around 10am I saw 3 Sonic cherry picker trucks on Central Ave and Oak St. working on the poles. Looks like this is happening. Good work, Sonic!
20 posts Page 2 of 2