10g in Burlingame?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by manca1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:53 am
Hi,

I've just got connected to 1G and so far it works good, but looks like it comes with a voice line that I don't need and it's charged extra + taxes/fees. I heard 10Gig plan is data-only and would eliminate the taxes/fees paid for the voice line.

When can I expect this service become available in my area?
by dane » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:22 pm
We don’t yet have a concrete timeline for upgrade available in most locations. This is due to the complexity and cost of the CO side upgrades, which in many sites will require rework of the power infrastructure in the central office sites.

But the timing of those upgrades is also driven by demand, so if you’re interested in upgrading, please do put in the upgrade request in the connections section of the Member Tools at https://members.sonic.net/. We will use this date to determine which regions see the investment in upgrades first.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by manca1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:07 pm
Thanks for the quick reply, Dane!

What do you usually need to do before the infra can support 10Gig speeds? The fiber is already there. I guess the equipment on the poles already supports higher speeds, too.

Isn’t it just about upgrading the ONT at the user’s home? If anything else, how’s the upgrade usually approached? Piece by piece at certain locations, or upgrading the entire zone which connects to the same “central office site/PoP”?
by dane » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:22 am
There is no equipment on poles - this is one reason that fiber is so much more reliable than cable.

It is the central office (CO) optical line terminal (OLT) that must be upgraded first, from GPON only gear to new equipment that does XGS-PON as well as the GPON.

Once that is completed, then end-user equipment in the home can be swapped from the 1Gbps GPON gear to the 10Gbps XGS.

Customers can request the upgrade and authorize the charge for it via the connections section in the Member Tools at https://members.sonic.net/

We have some markets and customers where the CO is now XGS combo, and those folks can upgrade to 10Gbps today. But we aren’t yet marketing that in a meaningful way because we are awaiting full stocking and release of our 10Gbps capable WiFi mesh router solution. That’s expected in the next month or so.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by manca1 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:36 pm
Super helpful!

Thanks a lot, Dane.

At this point, I'll be waiting for you guys to start offering the 10Gig service here. I'd be more than happy to help beta-test when the time comes ;)
5 posts Page 1 of 1