Can a 3rd party ONT be used? E.g. Ubiquiti XGS-PON CPE

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by gatsbylee » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:28 pm
I like this question :D
by sabits » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:07 am
oh hey fs.com has a new product:
https://www.fs.com/products/185594.html
by octernion » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:06 am
also very interested in optical handoff. would be happy to pay a little more to support it.
by jdanonuevo » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:47 pm
I totally understand the benefits of this fully integrated approach, especially at scale with the low cost of 10g internet from Sonic. I will at the same time throw my hat into the ring, I would love a kind of SFP+ option where I could run the fiber directly to my router using some known SFP+ transceiver, even if its one I have to purchase (with a setup fee) from Sonic. I would expect it would become "User owned and serviced" equipment at that point too. I also totally understand that wouldn't be ideal from Sonic's end either. But hey, hat in the ring, that's all.

As for benefits, I don't have a lot of outlets and do a lot of power management/backup on my small home rack, so one less device sounds good to me. So its just simplification on my end... at the expense of complication on Sonic's end (albeit a lot more complication for Sonic and simplification for me).
by matjam » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:33 pm
Also stating I'd like to see this, but looking at the products Adtran supplies which I'm assuming is Sonic's preferred supplier currently for residential equipment, None of the 620 series or 630 series have both an SFP+ port and FXS interfaces which I assume are required for residential? I think they have to support a phone line. Kinda sucks.

Otherwise the Adtran 602x might not be a big lift to integrate into the provisioning/management systems? If the FXS interfaces are not a requirement (they are not for me, at least).

The only reason I care is I just had the 10G service provisioned and its working great, but the SFP+ module I was running in my UDM SE Pro overheated and shut down. I run with failover to AT&T so it was ok, and I have a different brand SFP+ module here that seems to be ok but I'd prefer to just run optical which doesn't suffer from these issues.
by drewu » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:36 am
matjam wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:33 pm the SFP+ module I was running in my UDM SE Pro overheated and shut down. I run with failover to AT&T so it was ok, and I have a different brand SFP+ module here that seems to be ok
Mind sharing which module you had issues with and which one seems to be good?
16 posts Page 2 of 2