Best customer-owned ADSL option?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by amcken » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:34 pm
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a good ADSL option that will be fully supported, under $100 and with good availability. I started lookg up the modems on the modem reference (https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Modem_Reference) but I was not able to find anything that met my requirements and after looking up about 10 different models with no luck, I gave up.

Would be happy if anyone can advise.

thanks,

--Adam
by thulsa_doom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:02 pm
What are the requirements those models are falling short on? That may help point folks towards a helpful recommendation.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by amcken » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:18 pm
Mostly availability (as in I can't find them at all), some are over $200, the AT&T option that Sonic is using for their rental option has horrible reviews.

I really don't even need something that has wireless. Just the DSL and a few ethernet ports.
by mwedel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 pm
Given those requirements, I'd suggest you check your local goodwill/thrift store.

You may need to reconfigure the modem to work with sonic, but if you are technical, that should not be a problem.

Often, the stores have modems for <$10, and in many cases, some of the older models which I think are more reliable.

Probably the hardest part is finding the match transformer for the given modem, since they tend to get separated.
by amcken » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:02 pm
I decided to solve my problem with a 5-port gigabit switch for $25.. But if my current modem goes (it's quite old now) I will try a thrift store. Thanks!
by DSL Peasant » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 pm
amcken wrote:Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a good ADSL option that will be fully supported, under $100 and with good availability. I started lookg up the modems on the modem reference (https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Modem_Reference) but I was not able to find anything that met my requirements and after looking up about 10 different models with no luck, I gave up.

Would be happy if anyone can advise.

thanks,

--Adam
We use a Westell Versalink 327W wireless-modem-router, which cost $3 at the thrift store.
6 posts Page 1 of 1