What is included in installation? Extending the fiber demarc

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by flyme » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:45 am
Got my 10Gbps installed today and I am wondering what is normally included in installation.

I wanted the ONT to be installed in my MDF next to my rack which is located in the garage. They wanted to install it in my living room originally, but they had enough slack to bring it into my office upstairs at least. This is still not the best place for it, because it won't be on a UPS and will have cables running around the room to get back to my rack in the garage.

They told me that they didn't have enough slack to bring it into the garage, but then I saw them put a coupler inside the fiber demarc (box with a loop, coupler, and a fiber patch cable) and then connect the patch to the ONT that they mounted on the wall.

So I am wondering what is normally included in installation? Other carriers I have dealt with usually are willing to work with you on the location as long as it doesn't involve any major cutting of drywall or a complex pull. It seems like they could have put in a longer patch cable to bring it to the garage.

I am not as familiar with single-mode fiber, but I assume I could extend it myself if I purchase a 100 ft SC to SC APC OS2 patch cable similar to this: https://www.fs.com/products/41922.html? ... 0&id=20143

What have others experienced in their installs? Did Sonic put the ONT where you asked even if it meant a little extra cable?

Thanks!
by jfa_roy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:31 pm
For what it’s worth, I extended their fiber as well on my own using an FS cable and coupler. The dB loss was minimal. Make sure to get the right cable — my Sonic fiber had an APC SC connector (which is expected from a telecom and for a passive optical networking). In my case, Sonic initially brought the fiber and placed the ONT in my living room, which was not ideal but the most reasonable for the building. I later moved my network equipment which required the “redirect”. I actually got a multi-strand armored cable from FS and used their bi-di modules to make the most of it.
2 posts Page 1 of 1