Performance degradation in evening hours for a specific website

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by dvltav317 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:55 am
Dear Sonic technical support, this is a follow up on my support case [Sonic #7276511],

I recently switched my mother from Comcast to Sonic's internet service. Unfortunately, since the switch, she's been experiencing persistent playback issues when accessing a specific website overseas. The issue is predominantly noticeable between 6pm-9pm PST, during which the site either loads at a significantly reduced speed or doesn’t load at all. It's worth noting that she did not encounter this problem when she was on Comcast.

As a point of comparison, I am also a Sonic user as well in a different cityl. While my mother encounters these slowdowns, I can flawlessly stream content from the same website on my Sonic connection. Notably, during these playback hiccups, her speed test is 700 Mbps for both upload and download speeds.

I provided the tech support team trace route for both locations to facilitate troubleshooting.

To further underline the inconsistency, I conducted additional tests focusing on the connection to the affected web site during the peak problem hours. I used the wget command to download a file from the web site. While the test at noon showed speeds of over 10 mb/s at both locations, the performance in the evening sharply differed. The speed plummeted to a mere 133 kb/s at my mothers location, while it remained high at 22 mb/s at my location.

As a desperate measure to make point to the technical support team at Sonic, I reactivated my Comcast Internet service at my mothers location. As suspected, the slowdown vanished. To provide a concrete example: at 6:50 PM, the download speed to the specific web site on the Sonic Fiber connection was at a dismal 222 KB/s. When I switched to Xfinity, the speed jumped to 18 MB/s.

To say I am disheartened would be an understatement. I approached Sonic's technical support with my findings, hoping for a constructive resolution. However, the response I received suggesting for my elderly mother to use VPN as workaround—is less than satisfactory. My frustration stems from the fact that I have clearly demonstrated the issue is with Sonic network infrastructure, but yet there is no accountably from Sonic.

Regards,

Dominik
by ngufra » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:19 am
It seems the routes from your mother's are not optimal.

You would need both forward and reverse traceroute when it works and when it does not, from your mother's location as well as from your location.

The vpn solution may seem dumb and tone deaf but maybe if your mother uses a vpn from sonic to sonic, it will make her connection exit sonic from another location that may not have the issue. It would still be a workaround.
The sonic vpn service is described here: https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... PN-Service

If you can show sonic that when using sonic vpn it works and when not it does not as well as provide the traceroutes, it may help them troubleshoot the issue.
Does your mother have neighbor that can reproduce the issue, this would ensure the problem is not with your mother's devices.
by dvltav317 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:23 pm
I'm able to resolve the slow down by turning on VPN on her computer, but that is only masking the issue. The reason the VPN is not viable, it does not work on Apple TV, or any other devices she uses. Additionally, she is not the only one experiencing performance degradation, other Sonic users are generating traffic that is using this sub-optimal route.

I think I will cancel the Sonic service and switch back to Comcast.
3 posts Page 1 of 1